    icon to the Internet each time it is clicked. When I right click the icon
    and click on properties - the internet explorer properties open up. How can
    I get this icon to properly work again? I am using Windows XP Home edition.

    Guest, Mar 1, 2007

    Don Varnau Guest

    Hi,
    This has happened to me more than a few times because I moved the mouse
    slightly while double-clicking the icon. If nothing strange happens when you
    right-click the IE icon and choose Open, that's probably what happened.

    Hope this helps,
    Don
    [MS MVP- IE]

    "teach101" <> wrote in message
    > I have uninstalled IE7 and had to revert back to IE6. Upon clicking the

    IE
    > icon on the desktop - it will not open the Internet - only create a

    shorcut

    Don Varnau, Mar 1, 2007

    When I right click - the only options I have are delete, rename and
    properties. When I click on properties - the Internet properties window
    comes up. I think I need to change the action to open - if that makes sense?
    - but I'm not sure what file extension it is.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2007
  4. "teach101" <> wrote in message
    >I have uninstalled IE7 and had to revert back to IE6. Upon clicking the IE
    > icon on the desktop - it will not open the Internet - only create a shorcut
    > icon to the Internet each time it is clicked. When I right click the icon
    > and click on properties - the internet explorer properties open up. How can
    > I get this icon to properly work again? I am using Windows XP Home edition.

    Right-click the icon and tell us what menu items you see
    and in particular which one is bolded.

    Then use Properties and tell us which type of icon you are using.

    From there you can find out which filetype menu needs to be repaired,
    e.g. using either the Folders Options File Types dialog or regedit.

    Oops. I just realized that this is IE6, not IE7. In that case you can also
    try an IE Repair. E.g. use a cmd file provided courtesy of MVP Kai Schaetzl:

    http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=24&id=31&artlang=en

    Download it and execute it. Since it is based on the old IE Repair
    which used to be done during a boot when *nothing* else is running
    I usually suggest as well that it might be a good idea to do it during
    a safe boot when at least *less* is running. ; )

    However, the real reason he provides it is for XP users who don't
    have a real IE Repair at all (or, in the case of XPsp2 users,
    who have a broken one. <eg>)

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Mar 2, 2007

    Max Guest

    I have the identical thing happening on a system we have in our shop.
    Double clicking the IE icon on the desktop creates a shortcut.
    Otherwise, the icon is totally normal. Normal icon file, normal right
    click properties.

    Opening IE though the start menu works fine.

    This is happening on IE 6 on XP Home SP 2.

    Any other ideas?

    Max, Mar 6, 2007

    tyler2569

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Likes Received:
    0
    Fix Double click IE desktop icon creates shortcut

    Remove the bad IE icon from desktop, either delete or right click desktop -> Properties->Desktop->customize desktop-> uncheck Internet Explorer

    Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/ie_fix.reg - Restore IE Desktop Shortcut Icon Functions

    Download that.

    Open registry, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

    Delete that key {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} + all sub keys

    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}

    Delete that key {871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D} + all sub keys

    Merge that registry script into registry.

    Last, right click desktop -> Properties->Desktop->customize desktop-> check Internet Explorer hit ok, and ok

    Should be all set
    Tyler

    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
    tyler2569, Mar 13, 2007