Doom 3 really sucks

Noozer

....or vapourware like HL2.

First of One said:
At least it's a real game. Better to upgrade for that than some bullshit app
from MadOnion/Futuremark.

I'ze played it and I'ze knows it... : )

Doom3 doesn't have enough storyline to support it's slow pace like Farcry
and it isn't freeform/active as Quake 3 (still my fav) to be exciting.

Noozer

Lit rooms? Where? 99% of the game is corridors that you barely have
enough
Something is wrong with your setup.

Naw... The game just sucks.

I can play it. It is rather dark, but I've adjusted to compensate. The game
feels like a "rat in a maze" game with some pretty images on the walls and
monsters that jump out. Even the graphics aren't all that great.

GTD

I would have to agree there. Biggest letdown since Daikatana.
They should have called it a "flashlight-with-low-batteries" simulator.
Daikatana. That was pretty lame, It did have 'a' weapon that was
pretty cool in multiplayer, but I don't remember what it was.
Otherwise, it was pretty much a let-down.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

Newf !!!

FINALLY, someone that shares my exact view of doom 3!!!

i've been playing it, actually got to the Hell levels expecting it to
get better as everyone was saying....it never. Its repetitive, linear
and gets so boring after a while it's almost painful to finish it. As
far as I can tell, there is NO AI in this game either. After the
hell levels I was so pissed at having to play it, I turned on god mode
and walked through the rest.

It honestly is one of the most overrated pos I have seen in years. It
does have nice graphics and ran excellent on my medium type machine (
9800 pro), but since when do we all base a game solely on graphics
alone?

Far Cry....I couldn't wait to get home at the end of the day to
continue playing it. I never once wished it would just end. Doom 3:
The only reason why I'm playing it through was to see what the fuss
was, and Ihave played every other one anyways. I couldn't wait for
the end of the game to happen. It couldn't happen fast enough imho.
How many damn imps do you have to kill in that damn game? Open
door....kill imp, walk across room and kill another imp. Open next
door.....guess what ANOTHER IMP...repeat for 20 hours.

It's scary atmosphere is ok for about 2-3 hours, then it getsa old so
quick it's almost painfull to continue.

FAR CRY IS GAME OF THE YEAR HANDS DOWN for single player games. Or at
least until halflife 2 comes out.

Newf !!!

Well the world is full of suckers.

how the hell is it amazing? It's a brainless point and shoot game.
There is no strategy, no means of doing a room different then another
person, no options, no choices, it's all linear bulllshit, and all the
enemies are scrpted. Enemies only pop up as you walk across certan
hot spots on the floor.....this is an 10 year old technique that was
old long ago.

Look at far cry. Every area must have 10 different ways to do it. The
game has much better AI, , and the enemies aren't stupid and don't all
of a sudden magically appear as they are just walking around, minding
their own business, maybe fishing or having a conversation and so on.
You have to plan your attack most times. Sneaking through bushes,
going in for a direct attack, or walk around the area go in the back
and so on.... Far Cry requires some thinking and skill as far as fps
games go. Doom 3 is no more difficult to play then a Quake 3 match
against the computer. I couldn't wait to finish it so i could go play
something better. Far cry was innovative, Doom 3 is just an updated
prettier doom 1. If that is all you wanted, then you should be happy.

This is how I've said it before. People who are real gamers, and have
played lots of games, and no the difference between what a good game
is, and what a bad game is.....won't like Doom 3 because it's too
linear and stun and they'll get the been there done this before
feeling. Newer gamers, the same ones that only seem to ever play
mutliplayer games aka unreal, 1942, ,and the oh so boring quake 3 over
and over, they'll love doom 3. Why? because they do not know how great
some games are in comparison to it. They'll see the fancy graphics,
the scarey sounds and just fall into the bullshit that Johny C wanted
them to. It's hype.

I more interested in seeing what other companies do with the doom 3
engine because Doom 3 was horrible. not the worse game I've played (
daikatana anyone?) but nothing worth getting excited over.

I seen him on techtv one day. Saying things like, most innovative
game we'll ever see, "Revolutionize the way gamers play games" What a
crock. Shut up johny C, you ain't all that you think you are. Did
anyone actually buy his book?

Joe Blow

FatDaddy said:
and anyone plays it knows it
Not really FatDaddy. You just have to realize it's a different game and
accept it for what is is. It's not a fast paced shooter. It' not Half Life
2. Play it and enjoy for it's uniqueness.

Andrew MacPherson

Doom 3 has entertained me a great deal, its amazing sound and graphics
force an atmosphere of quality fear I have rarely experienced in a game

I only got D3 yesterday, and I've only got as far as my first few imps
(loved the cut scene where the first one appears). But the environment,
the lighting (I *love* the torchlight effect), the machinery, that bridge
with the impressive folding action, the sense of DOOM I felt when the
lights first went out... I feel I've already had my money's worth and I've
only just begun.

Even if the rest is as unimaginative as many say (including some people
whose opinions I trust), I love what ID have done with their engine so far
and can't wait to see what others do with it.

Andrew McP

smithy

I bought it, and its the first time ever I've played the campaign, and boy
did it scare the crap out of me.

The network is only 4 people which was a disappointment, but finding a
32player mod changed all that, and lanning with it is great. Shame no bots
etc.

I guess like the original doom etc, mods will soon come etc.

Compared to Farcry etc, its very different, and I agree with a previous
person, play it for its uniqueness.

(oh a hint, play with good headphones, with the lights off in the room),
wow!

smithy

James Frith

how the hell is it amazing?
The most gorgeous graphics in the history of gaming, and it still
manages 60fps on my system at 1280x1024 HiQ with 16xAF & 2xAA.
I'd call that amazing.
It's a brainless point and shoot game.
You're new to Doom, aren't you?
Enemies only pop up as you walk across certan hot spots on
the floor. ....this is an 10 year old technique
Yes, pioneered by Doom.
Look at far cry. Every area must have 10 different ways to do it.
Jessica Alba is hot; so is Tara Reid... I want them both... where's
the problem?

Kill Bill

Andrew MacPherson said:
I only got D3 yesterday, and I've only got as far as my first few imps
(loved the cut scene where the first one appears). But the environment,
the lighting (I *love* the torchlight effect), the machinery, that bridge
with the impressive folding action, the sense of DOOM I felt when the
lights first went out... I feel I've already had my money's worth and I've
only just begun.

Even if the rest is as unimaginative as many say (including some people
whose opinions I trust), I love what ID have done with their engine so far
and can't wait to see what others do with it.

Andrew McP

Word.

Keanu

Joe Blow wrote in message ...
Not really FatDaddy. You just have to realize it's a different game and
accept it for what is is. It's not a fast paced shooter. It' not Half Life
2. Play it and enjoy for it's uniqueness.
Jow Blow's comments are wise... It's absolutely IT.

But one common mistake I think people make at first is to get
their first impressions from a ill ajusted display.

Most should put seta r_gamma "1.4" in their Doomcfg.cfg file.
and it's not available from the game itself.. Then many play the game
and get frustrated it's too dark. Then they look around and the ennemies
all look undetailed from the surrounding darkness.
Then it all feels repetitive and you don't get chills cuz you never get
into it........ All due to one thing..... Poor gamma settings.

Of course there are other reasons, but how can someone enjoy the
game if he's constantly in need of the flashlight. That should tip you
on ajusting the gamma right..... I know it sounds obvious. But many
will not dare to push the gamma.. Unless the game visuals are
properly set; You miss all the fun.

And the only way to know is to push it high enough.
Everybody should try r_gamma "1.4" at least once, then decide.

Doom3 is fabulous & jawdropping in a unique fashion.
Unless you can't run it on a very recent hardware; Then you'll miss
a lot of its potentials.

Whatever......

KCB

GTD said:
First, everything is REALLY dark....

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DARK!! You're on a space base on Mars that is having
power issues. That's why you have a flashlight (or torch, for our friends
across the pond). Just like a good horror movie, the plot wouldn't work set
in the middle of a field in broad daylight.

Newf !!!

[...]

the game is dark, too dark. I'm sure the majority of people here have
the intelligence to set gamma, brightness, contrast and whatnot.

I have a damn good monitor that is extremely bright. But playing this
game in the day time...forget it, you can't see shit. I know that is
exactly what the designers wanted so it created atmosphere, but it's
irritating to the ninth degree. All of it could have been solved if
your idiot character was smart enough to hold a gun and flashlight at
the same time. I guess he missed that class during training.

Doom 3 is gorgrous to look at. The 1st few hours your amazed by
it.That's where it ends. finish the game through, and by the end your
just tired of it.

Newf !!!

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DARK!! You're on a space base on Mars that is having
power issues. That's why you have a flashlight (or torch, for our friends
across the pond). Just like a good horror movie, the plot wouldn't work set
in the middle of a field in broad daylight.

Your right, and there's not a reason why to not have it that dark.
But, all of this could have been solved by being able to hold the
flashlight and a gun at the same time. That was done on purpose
obviously, but it was a bad decision and frustrates what would be a
even better gaming experience. You can say that it adds to the
atmosphere, but I think that is a cop out. It was a bad design,and the
lighting from it isn't even realistic.

Thank god for mods.

..

Brett Tyre

With all of these Doom 3 postings around, perhaps this should be
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati.as.it.applies.to.doom3

But this post in particular: 35 replies (not including mine) and 1 mention
of an ATI video card.

Get over it people, its a game. Its not worth getting upset over. There
are those who will love it, those who will hate it and those who won't give
a shit either way. Doom 3, Far Cry, Half-Life 2 or any other game for that
matter are not the be-all end-all. Something better is always on the
horizon.
--
NP:
Brett Tyre

Jamie_Manic

GTD said:
Then don't read it. He asked for an opinion, I gave mine. With that in
mind, I'm not sure why you even replied, you're not going to change my
opinion.

Didn't expect to. As you gave your opinion, I gave mine. Both are valid.

Pluvious

[...]

I tried 1.5 but it was a little too much. I settled for 1.25. :)

Pluvious