Don't print "click here to enter text" in a form..

Levi1010

I have created a simple fill in form to use as our fax cover sheet. I have 8
fields where text can be entered, but not all 8 fields will always be used.
The problem I am having is that when a field has no text entered. when it
prints it shows "click here to enter text." How can I have this not show when
printing?

Jay Freedman

I have created a simple fill in form to use as our fax cover sheet. I have 8
fields where text can be entered, but not all 8 fields will always be used.
The problem I am having is that when a field has no text entered. when it
prints it shows "click here to enter text." How can I have this not show when
printing?

What version of Word are you using, and what kind of fields are in the form?

The general idea is to write a macro that intercepts the Print command, changes
the fields to white, does the printing, and then undoes the change. But to do
that, the macro needs to know what kind of fields to look for.

Levi1010

I am using Word 2007. The fields I have are as follows:
To: Click here to enter text.
From: Choose an item.

Fax: Click here to enter text.
Pages (inc. cover): Click here to enter text.

Phone: Click here to enter text.
Date: November 14, 2008

Re: Click here to enter text.
CC: Click here to enter text.

Levi1010

PS - I have a basic understanding of word...hence I do not know what a macro
is...

Jay Freedman

OK, let's try this again. Word has several kinds of fields, and I can't tell
from this information which kind you have.

With this form on the screen, press Alt+F9 (this is the Toggle Field Codes
command). Each field will be replaced by its code. What do you see in place of
the "Click here" text? Does it say FORMTEXT or MACROBUTTON or something else?

To return to the original view, press Alt+F9 again.