Dont bring your own 2 Cinema

Reaction score
A postman was thrown out of his local cinema when he was caught eating his own supply of sweets rather than those on sale in the foyer.

Adam Glennon, aged 26, had bought a ticket for sci-fi thriller Cloverfield at the Cineworld in Stockport when he was approached by a security guard demanding to know what was in Mr Glennon's bag. When he searched it and found sweets, drinks and Coca Cola, the customer was told unless he handed over the contents he wouldn't be allowed into the cinema. He refused.

"He was searching like he was a copper looking for a gun," Mr Glennon told the Manchester Evening News. "I was going red because I couldn't believe it.

"I've always taken in food and I've never had a problem. Money is tight at the moment and I begrudge paying the prices they charge."

Disgusted by the manner in which he was treated, Mr Glennon held an impromptu protest outside the cinema, giving away free sweets and his own price comparison leaflets. These revealed that he paid £5 for eight packs of M&Ms, a multi-pack of crisps, a variety of sweets and two bottles of cherry cola. If, however, he had bought them at the cinema, two tubes of Pringles alone would have set Mr Glennon back £4.80.

Said Luke Roberts, a spokesman for Cineworld: "Cineworld terms and conditions outline that all food consumed on the premises must be purchased at one of our concessions, which is in line with most cinema chain policies. We do offer a full refund if a customer chooses to leave."

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Britain is fast becoming a Fascist state where we the public have no rights and freedoms . The guy was not even eating anything yet this bully boy in his uniform was allowed to search and eject the guy . Utterly disgusting .

user.gif

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
It's always been like that in all the cinemas I go to on a regular basis... You have to hide the food before you go in, If they don't suspect you they won't search you. The prices some cinemas charge are astronomical.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've always taken my own stuff in. If cinemas charged a fair price I'd buy their stuff, but they don't.

I wonder if a security guard actually has a right to search your bag? I'm guessing he probably does.

I think if I was confronted like that I'd be tempted to knock him out :D

And they wonder why pirate DVD's are so popular.... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
My mum/dad insist we take our own drinks and popcorn (or some sweets) that we have previously bought elsewhere, despite me not liking this {some may call that snobbery but ah well}. Anyway, we've never been forced to leave ...moral of the story: I think the staff were just bored so they decided to get awkward.

Oh and that was in: Vue, Odean and Cineworld.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If I take something, I just stick it in my pockets - but I've never had any trouble. I think most places have this as policy, but won't actively enforce it unless you are carrying a multipack of McCoys crisps and a few 2 litre bottles of coke! ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
It's always been like that in all the cinemas I go to on a regular basis... You have to hide the food before you go in, If they don't suspect you they won't search you. The prices some cinemas charge are astronomical.

Then its a sad world you live in .

I can remember when you went to the cinema and an usheret stood at the door to help people and if you were a little late then she would use her torch to light up the way to your seat . Later on the same usheret sold ices and popcorn in the interval from a tray at the front of the screen . Yes the ices and popcorn were a little bit more expensive than in the shops but not excesivly so and most folk would buy something .
Going to the cinema was a treat and folk made it into a fun outing .

But heck we have progressed since then no need to hark back to rose tinted previous times .

Look forward with joy and gratitude to the modern hi tech age safe in the knowledge thaty big brother will always be looking after you .

:D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Then its a sad world you live in .

I can remember when you went to the cinema and an usheret stood at the door to help people and if you were a little late then she would use her torch to light up the way to your seat . Later on the same usheret sold ices and popcorn in the interval from a tray at the front of the screen . Yes the ices and popcorn were a little bit more expensive than in the shops but not excesivly so and most folk would buy something .
Going to the cinema was a treat and folk made it into a fun outing .

But heck we have progressed since then no need to hark back to rose tinted previous times .

Look forward with joy and gratitude to the modern hi tech age safe in the knowledge thaty big brother will always be looking after you .

:D

Like it Abe...:D

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Abarbarian
Britain is fast becoming a Fascist state where we the public have no rights and freedoms

oh you do....just pick up a newspaper or watch the news

just depends who you are :mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Funny dat, I remember the usherette selling stuff from a tray, I think you could actually buy cigarettes as well as soft drinks and those ice cream tubs with flat wooden spoons.

And yes, I bought those, but they were fairly priced. The prices for refreshments at my local cinema complex, the Odeon on Greenwich peninsular, are, frankly, extracting the urine :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes there is extracting the urine...:D

But some places extract it then throw it back in your face for a golden shower..:lol:

Our local Odeon which has incidentally closed up now used to charge £5.50 for a large popcorn and £3.50 for a large coke or fanta..

Took my little girl and bought popcorn and drinks and that was 15 squid gone just on refereshments, then the tickets were £5.50Adult and £3.50child adding up to a very expensive hour and a half..Didn't get much change out of 25 squid..:mad:

You wonder why I burn me own dvd's nowadays..:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, gotta say, our local Odeon is always very well attended.

And nobody ever seems to get pulled up over bringing their own scoff/drink in there, even though sometimes it's fairly obvious peeps are bringing their own.

Mostly young staff, very friendly, very helpful, good vibe.

And their food/confectionery/drink stalls still sell well.

Maybe they're onto something......

And that something is..... wait for it...... treat folks well and they'll keep coming back.

And they'll spend their money.

Which means you, Mr Security man, get to keep your job :)

Common sense.

Ask a Question