Domain Controller move

Frank

Hi, I moved one of my domain controllers (BDC) to another
site. However, the domain controller does not replicate
with my Primary Domain Controller. I am able to term serv
into and ping the BDC. Please help!

-Frank

Ben [MSFT]

Frank,

If both DCs are W2K then there is no concept of a PDC/BDC. Instead both
are equal DCs as they have read/write capabilities on their respective
copies of the AD database.

Regardless, the first thing to check is to make sure that both have good
DNS name resolution and are both pointing to an internal DNS server that is
authoritative for your domain name. AD replication is heavily reliant on
DNS name resolution, in particular CNAME resolution for the connection
objects.

If that checks out perhaps your AD site configuration is incorrect. If
both are in separate physical sites, are they in actual separate AD sites?
Are the subnets properly setup for each site? How about the site links?

blim
| >From: "Frank" <[email protected]>
| >Sender: "Frank" <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Domain Controller move
| >Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:20:28 -0800
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
| >
| >Hi, I moved one of my domain controllers (BDC) to another
| >site. However, the domain controller does not replicate
| >with my Primary Domain Controller. I am able to term serv
| >into and ping the BDC. Please help!
| >
| >-Frank

Ray Lava [MSFT]

Frank,

If changed the IP address on the "BDC" when you moved it, that may be the
root cause of the problem. If your "BDC" is just a replica W2K DC in your
domain, make sure that it is pointed to a valid internal DNS server for DNS.
If it is pointing to a valid DNS server, then check the records that it has
registered in DNS and make sure that the records for the old IP address are
gone. If not, manually remove them. Then stop and restart the netlogon
service on the "BDC" and on the main DNS server, one at at time.

Another way to make sure DNS registration is working properly is to install
the W2K support tools off the W2K server CD. You can then run a "netdiag"
on your "BDC". The output will show whether it is registering its records
properly with DNS.

If the "BDC" is an NT4 BDC in a W2K domain, then make sure that its WINS
records reflect the correct IP address in the WINS database.

I hope this helps.

Ray Lava
Microsoft Corporation