Does spelling matter?

Reaction score
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The pweor of the hmuan mnid is phaonmneal. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredrthe ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tnhig is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sltil raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the hmaun mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghouht slpeling was ipmorantt.

I got this from another forum, In my opinion it is simple to read, can you read it?

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Tihs is no excsue taht yuo can go on maknig splelnig erorrs and grmaatcial msitkaes : D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I afraid I do not agree, it is always a good idea to check your spelling and grammer when you write anything even on forums. This is part of Netiquettes

The other day I was just going through the Netiquettes and found it a very interesting read. I try to observe most of it when I am on the forum but being a human I too make mistakes now and then just like everyone else on this forum. We forgive and forget. That is why we all get along so well, is it not true? However, it does not mean we should never try our best, everyone does notice things that we do here. So here it is for those who did not come across the Netiquettes before

Cyberspace, like the world around you, has its share of good, bad, and indifferent people. It's up to you where you choose to go on the web, but you have little control over those you share it with. Doing your part and remembering a few simple netiquette tips lets others know that you are net savvy and sets the stage for a pleasant experience.

* Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you. It's a phrase most of us have heard since childhood and it is no less important on the web. If you want to be treated with respect and courtesy you need to treat those sharing the web with you in the same way you wish to be treated. Follow the same standards of behavior as you do in real life. If you are rude, arrogant or insulting, you can expect to be treated in a like manner.
* Keep your caps lock off. Typing a word or phrase in all upper-case letters is considered SHOUTING. People don't like to be shouted at regardless of where there are and it applies to your conversations with others in chat rooms or even in your messages on the forum.
* Snooping is a good thing unless you are invading the privacy of others by doing it. Before posting a message take a few minutes to become aware of what's being said and that it is appropriate for you to be there. If the thread is about Greek Mythology but you want to talk about shopping, do not post silly message just because you had to. Once you have determined it is where you want to be, join the conversation but don't try to dominate it.
* Quote appropriately. When replying to an existing post, include only as much of the original message as is necessary for clarity. Including the entire message is a waste of space, but not including any of the original post can be confusing
* Put out the Flame. Posting or saying rude or unkind things about others is called flaming. Don't get the reputation of being a "flame", "jerk", "snert", or "troll", by making and repeating malicious statements about others. A good rule of thumb is to not say things about others that you would not want to have said about you.
* Be forgiving of those who make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes of one kind or another. Spelling errors, stupid questions, and unnecessarily long answers are but a few. If it's a minor error, consider overlooking it. If you feel you need to point out an error, think twice before saying anything. If you decide that you do need to make a comment about a mistake, use your own good manners and point it out privately and politely, not in public.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Is that all you can say to my post? A one liner? :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is quite wierd, I can read it without any problems - although I hope people don't start to post like that ;)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It makes you realise the power of the human mind - what could we be capable of if we all used our mind to it's full potential?!
(I'm not saying I admire bad spelling, mind you ;))

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I see your point KGB, it's a good one, but it did take me twice as long to read than normal. ;)

Fascinating what the mind can 'see' and interprets.

Still, I wouldn't like to see it on any forum I visit ... its bad enough when I get a text message on the phone, I invariably have to phone the person and ask them "what the heck were they trying to say" ... :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I bought a phone to "speak to people", I do enough "texting" here ... and I don't pay for calls. ;)

Reaction score
the only thing u need to do is make sure the first and last letters are in the correct place

im not that fast a reader but i belive i could read that faster than i could norrmal read - mabye cos i type so bad!

but when u look at every letter it dont make sense

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Euro English !!!!

The European Commission have just announced an
agreement whereby English will be the official
language of the EU rather than German, which was the
other possibility.
As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government
conceded that English spelling had some room for
improvement and has accepted a 5 year phase in plan
that would be known as "EuroEnglish":
In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".
Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with
joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favor of the
"k".. This should klear up konfusion and keyboards
kan have 1 less letter.
There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond
year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with
the "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20%
shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new
spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more
komplikated changes are possible.
Governments will enkorage the removal of double
letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate
speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes
of the silent "e"'s in the language is disgraceful,
and they should go away.
By the 4th yar, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such
as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze
fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords
kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be
aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten
styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and
evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!

:D:D:D

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The pweor of the hmuan mnid is phaonmneal. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredrthe ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tnhig is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sltil raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the hmaun mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghouht slpeling was ipmorantt.

I got this from another forum, In my opinion it is simple to read, can you read it?

KGB

This is cool KGB:thumb:...I got an email from a m8 about exactly the same thing a few weeks ago. Did you make that paragraph up or is that one of the examples used by the scientists who came up with it?

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I find this all very interesting. I have seen the text in the first message before (one of the news flashes on the default mambo installation). And it is still easy to read, although I too wouldn't like to see more messages on the forum with similar bad spelling. We are all prone to the odd error, being as human as we all are, but generally when making posts of my own I do try to use correct grammar, spelling and most of all punctuation.
I would prefer to see the odd spelling mistake though, than total lack of punctuation, which i have noticed some members using. Without punctuations, it can take much longer to read and re-read, and then comprehend posts, wheras the odd spelling mistake can be skipped straight past.
So, for those of you who don't punctuate, please try to do so, for all our benefits. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey Quad

Zat is vely Amuzing. a brilliant cut on ze sherman language....

I nearly fell oz my chair laughing....:D

Ask a Question