Does Access have limit to # of records it can hold?

I was just wondering if there is a limit to the number of records that an
Access Database can hold?

Dirk Goldgar

"Secretary Extraordinaire" <Secretary
I was just wondering if there is a limit to the number of records
that an Access Database can hold?

There's no fixed limit to the number of records, but there is a limit to
the size of the database file -- 2GB for Access 2000 or later, 1GB for
Access 97 or 95 (I don't know about earlier versions). In practice, you
can run into trouble well before the database file reaches its maximum
size, depending on what you're doing.

There are various ways of working around this limit, if Access is in all
ways perfect for your purposes except for size limitations. However,
most people think of upsizing to a SQL Server back-end before they get
that big. You can still use an Access front-end (user interface) with a
SQL Server back-end (data store).

John Vinson

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:39:03 -0800, Secretary Extraordinaire <Secretary
I was just wondering if there is a limit to the number of records that an
Access Database can hold?

Dirk's exactly right. Just for comparison, the largest Access
application of which I am aware has 20,000,000 records in its largest
table; a million records requires fairly careful database design and
optimization but should usually work well. 10,000 records is trivial.

John W. Vinson[MVP]
Join the online Access Chats
Tuesday 11am EDT - Thursday 3:30pm EDT
http://community.compuserve.com/msdevapps