DNS and GP Configuration

Reaction score
Hello Buddies,

I'm responsible in setting up anetwork for the company i'm working in, and Guess What? I know nothing about how can i do that. Never mind i've read some tutorials documents from the internet and i work. but i'm facing a problem that i couldn't find how to solve it plus i don't have time to do search so i'm asking for help from anyone who knows how to solve it.

The network configured as follow: Internet router is connected to a switch providing DNS (ISP), DHCP, and NAT. A Domain Controller server shall be connected to the Switch as well for the domain configuration. We are hosted in a forign company for our company domain name : Company_name.com and for the emails as well.

The server i'm configuring is a domain controller and file server, what i've did exactly is that i've installed the OS (Windows Server 2003 Enterprice Edition), I've added the following roles : Active Directory, File Server, DNS.

During the Active Directory Role installation, i've been asked to define a Full DNS name so i entered the name required Company_Name.net as an internal DNS and i've defined the server as a primary server for DNS with a forwarder to ISP DNS IP address. At the end of the installation, the result of the test was having error i regarding registration of the domain name selected (I cant remember the exact wording of the Error) with three selection i've choosed the middle one that installs something and finalize the installation.

Then i've added users to the Active Directory and Computers as well, and defined and linked a Group policy for the Company OU and ensured that the user is included in the security permission of the GP as Authorize Users. From the Client device, i've added it to the domain and everything goes well (as i could ping the DNS and Server name as well but not the NET BIOS), but the GP i've defined was not applied to the User or Computer. When i searched the internet i found some articles mentioning that the problem might be from the DNS configuration. So i've entered the NETDIAG command and i get a result saying that the DNS has passed the test but with Warning : [WARNING]: Cannot find the primary Authoritative dns serve Server_Name.Domain_Name.net.

I need your help on solving the DNS problem and the GP as well..

Thanks in advance

Ask a Question