: graphic to display in my form? (The liked objects are all
: JPG files, which are associated with IE6 on my
: workstation. When I double click on the icon, IE opens
: fine and displays the image.)
:
: Thanks,
:
: TA

I have only had luck doing this with BMPs.

E

Exponent

Note that this approach can still give rise to a huge overhead when working with jpeg images (since certain
OLE server apps store an uncompressed copy of the image in the field, even when linking).

Also, as Stephen mentioned, you'll need to re-create the OLE Links once the right server application is
registered. Furthermore, if the registered application for the relevant file-type is changed (e.g. when
new graphics software is installed) the image handling functionality can be broken again.

You can avoid these problems by storing/generating the image path, and displaying the image in an image
control. The caveats with this approach are that you need to ensure that the relevant office graphics
filters are installed, and workaround the 'scrolling records too quickly while image control is loading
crashes Access' issue, and (optionally) suppress the popup 'Image Loading' progress window.

To avoid these issues you can use something external to display the images that is independent of system
configuration, specific file-type registrations, installed graphics filters etc. Examples include Stephen
Lebans LoadJpegGif (http://www.lebans.com/loadjpeggif.htm) or a commercial component such as our own.

HTH

Ask a Question