Display Name in AD

I went into the properties of a user account in Active Directory users and
Computers and changed the users's first name from Janette to Jan and the
display name from Smith, Janette to Smith, Jan but the display name still
shows as Smith, Janette. WHy is this and how do i resolve it. Her name
appears correctly in the Exchange Contact ist though.

Sean M. Loftus

George,

What your seeing is most likely the "Full Name" attribute in the GUI I
think. Depending on how and where you try to change the full name and
display name you actually get different dialog boxes.

1, Select a user in an OU, right click and select "properties".

2, Select a user in an OU, right click and select "rename", change the name
and click somewhere else with the mouse and you get the rename use box
(which has the full name, unlike the properties dialog).

3, Use find to get the user, highlight the user in the GUI and select rename
and the same dialog from 2 above automatically opens.

I'm not sure why MS chose to leave this important attribute out of the
properties dialog. The Full Name attribute is what uniquely identifies the
user in the directory (there are others that are tied to this and change
automatically when you change one of them) and most people like to keep them
the same as the display name to keep the directory clean and organized.

Sean

Jason Tan

Hi George,

Did you try Sean's suggestion? Please help me know the status of the issue
at your earliest convenence. If you have any questions or concerns, please
feel free to let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support