Display driver is VGASAVE

Roberto Hofer

Hello, i am new to xpe and so probably my error is noob - like, but I
do not get this display driver working. I got the S3 on board driver
(package including the .sld file) from www.viaarena.com and it is
tested with xpe (at least via´s hp says so).

I installed it into the Component database, added it into td and made
a new run time image. After FBA VGASAVE is selected and not the S3
package.
I ripped off VgaSave in TD and didn´t care of the dependencies, but
FBA crashed in this run time.

The driver package is correct. I installed it on a normal Win XP Sp1
and it worked fine.

So my question is, how do I force FBA or TD to select the S3 driver
and not VgaSave?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Roberto

KM

Roberto,

VgaSave is needed so don't remove it from your Configuration.

Do you see any error in your Fbalog.txt?
Also, try installing your S3 display driver on runtime with only standard
display driver in it. You can use Device Manager to install the driver or
just copy all the driver files to appropriate dirs (system32\driver,
windows\inf, etc.) and reboot the machine. Does you driver work correctly
this way?

Roberto Hofer

KM said:
Roberto,

VgaSave is needed so don't remove it from your Configuration.

Never will do this again!
Do you see any error in your Fbalog.txt?

FBA - Log: these two errors

16:14:16 PM - [FBALaunch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\vssvc.exe /Register
(ExitCode: 0x0)
16:14:17 PM - [FBARegQueue: DllInstall]
C:\WINDOWS\System32\eventcls.dll (Error: 0x8000ffff)
16:14:17 PM - [FBARegQueue: DllInstall]
C:\WINDOWS\System32\swprv.dll (Error: 0x8000ffff)
16:14:17 PM - [CallEntryPointThread] C:\WINDOWS\system32\vss_ps.dll,
DllRegisterServer

and then

16:16:13 PM - [CallEntryPointThread] C:\WINDOWS\FBA\FBAREG.DLL,
FBAMigrateRegistryKeys
16:16:13 PM - [FBAChangeDisplaySettings] Settings: [1280, 1024, 16,
60]
16:16:13 PM - [FBAChangeDisplaySettings] Settings not found!
16:16:13 PM - [CallEntryPointThread] C:\WINDOWS\FBA\FBALIB.DLL,
FBAChangeDisplaySettings

Also, try installing your S3 display driver on runtime with only standard
display driver in it. You can use Device Manager to install the driver or
just copy all the driver files to appropriate dirs (system32\driver,
windows\inf, etc.) and reboot the machine. Does you driver work correctly
this way?

I installed the driver on the same station, but with a normal XP Sp1
and a HDD connected to it. Driver worked properly. Any ideas?

KM

Roberto,

You seem to be missing some driver's dependencies. HP might not have done a
good job to include all the necessary dependency references in the SLD file
you got (at least, I'd trust the SLD). Try using Dependency Walker and check
your driver binaries to see if anything is missing from your runtime for the
driver to work properly.
Also check if you have "PnP (User-Mode)" component in the Configuration.

Mentioning the "Device Manager" approach I wasn't referring to XP Pro. You
should try it on your XPe runtime to see whether the driver works fine
there.
You may not expect the driver not to work on XPe at all (if it works on XP
Pro it most likely (99,9..%) will work on XPe with all the dependencies in
the image). However, just in case, you may take a big XPe image (like the
XPProEmulation from www.xpefiles.com), add you driver package in it and see
if it works at run time.

--
KM,