DiskPart - Unhide a partition

Is there an XP utility that will unhide a partition in XP?

My Windows XP Pro SP2 with all maintenance applied has DiskPart version
5.1.3565 installed. My 2003 server has version 5.2.3790, my Vista Ultimate
has 6.0.6000 and lastly, Microsoft Downloads has version 1.

I'm looking for the DiskPart attributes function, but it doesn't seem to be
available on the XP version. (But this may not work either as it seems
"attributes" work on volumes, not partitions).

Something I have noticed:
1. I have 3 primary partitions and 2 logical partitions on disk 0.
2. Partitions 1 & 2 are hidden and partition 3 is active and not hidden.
3. I boot Windows PE and start DiskPart I will see partition 3 is associated
with a volume and assigned drive letter "C".
4. Partitions 1 & 2 are not associated with any volume and therefore can not
be assigned a drive letter either.
5. DiskPart - detail partition - will show partition 1 & 2 as" Hidden: Yes"
and "Active: No".
6. detail partition of #3 will show "Hidden: No" and "Active: Yes".

So far so good, but here is where DiskPart doesn't seem to work.

In an attempt to boot from partition 1, I use DiskPart to select partition 1
and make it active. DiskPart will allow this, but it will not unhide the
partition (as "attributes clear hidden" only works on volumes; not
partitions).

Selecting partition 3, I may hide this partition using "attributes set
hidden", but the result is the following:

"list volume" changes the "Info" column from blank to "Hidden" for all
unhidden volumes on disk 0 (partition 3 and the two logical volumes).

running "detail partition" of partition 3 shows "Hidden: No", "Active: No",
"Info: Hidden".

Starting PartitionMagic, I can see that DiskPart's attempt at hiding
partition 3 didn't work.

So the question is: What does the DiskPart field "Info Hidden" mean? It
certainly doesn't hide the partition as far as the partition table is
concerned.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Bob,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

For more information about Diskpart utility, please refer to:
300415: A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support