Disk Manager

D

D T

I have upgraded to a new computer with 80g hard disk.

My old computer has a 40g hard disk that is jumpered to 32g only. This
was the largest that would accept.

If I put the 40g hard disk in the new computer, with Winxp can I use
the disk manager to reclaim the extra 8g after I remove the jumper or
do I need Partition Magic. I would prefer to keep the current contents
if possible.

DT

G

Hi

Set the jumper to cable select for the old Hdd (Asumming you are using a 40Pin 80Conductors cable otherwise jumper as slave drive ) then connect to the new OS as slave. Boot into BIOS and set the Primary IDE channels to auto detect and then enable DMA mode (you must use 40 Pin 80 Conductors cable for auto detect
If the old Hdd only contains data files (without OS), you can use disk management to format another partition (FAT32) on the slave drive. Or, you can transfer all the data files to the master Hdd then use disk management to delete the partition on the slave drive and then format it to a single partition of 40GB in NTFS format (cannot format in FAT32 as it has a limitation of 32GB

If the old Hdd contains OS, I would suggest you to use a data transfer cable to transfer all the data files to the new PC before you connect the old Hdd to the new machine as slave drive. This is the best way to protect your data files for just in case. After completion of the data transfer, randomly verfiy the different types of data files to ensure they can be opened in the new PC

Pete

----- D T wrote: ----

I have upgraded to a new computer with 80g hard disk

My old computer has a 40g hard disk that is jumpered to 32g only. Thi
was the largest that would accept

If I put the 40g hard disk in the new computer, with Winxp can I us
the disk manager to reclaim the extra 8g after I remove the jumper o
do I need Partition Magic. I would prefer to keep the current content
if possible

D

D

D T