Disk imaging advise

John

Hi

I need to disk image my xp pro so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
have two questions;

1. My xp pro drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do the
whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
Image Workstation.

Many Thanks

Regards

Shenan Stanley

John said:
I need to disk image my xp pro so I can restore easy in case of a
crash. I have two questions;

1. My xp pro drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the
first partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I
need to do the whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

Depends on what you wish to accomplish.
2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis
True Image Workstation.

That's good. The best one is the one that you can understand and will
utilize periodically - in parallel with your more frequent backup plan.

Symantec/Norton Ghost
BootItNG

And I am sure other people can chime in with others (or you can google
groups search.)

philo

John said:
Hi

I need to disk image my xp pro so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
have two questions;

1. My xp pro drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do the
whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
Image Workstation.

I've used Acronis twice now and it was easy to use...
worked *perfectly*. My free trial will soon be up and I will be buying it!

John

Did you image just the partition or the whole disk?

I used DVD+R DL disks to burn straight from Acronis Home Trial using a Sony
drive. Even though the operation was completed the disks became unusable.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Regards

Rock

John said:
Hi

I need to disk image my xp pro so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
have two questions;

1. My xp pro drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do
the whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to restore the system to the
state it was in before the problem arose then it's simple, image the
complete disk.
2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
Image Workstation.

I use Acronis True Image Home version 10 on both XP and Vista. It works
fine. Others are Symantec Ghost, BootIt NG, Terabyte Unlimited Image for
Windows and Casper XP.

Jerry

John said:
Hi

I need to disk image my xp pro so I can restore easy in case of a crash. I
have two questions;

1. My xp pro drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder is in the first
partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do or do I need to do
the whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering Acornis True
Image Workstation.

Many Thanks

Regards

I have removable hard drives and clone my C drive as a form of backup. I
use Ghost2003, boot from floppy or cd and can create a clone of approx. 25gb
in less than 15 minutes. I then swap drives and run off the clone to insure
success. Couldn't be simpler. A Ghost created clone would have both of
your partitions.

Diamontina Cocktail

True Image 10 is all you need. I think that one is cheaper. Don't go near
Ghost. Nowhere near as reliable.

Diamontina Cocktail

John said:
Did you image just the partition or the whole disk?

I used DVD+R DL disks to burn straight from Acronis Home Trial using a
Sony
drive. Even though the operation was completed the disks became unusable.
Any ideas?

That can be because of a faulty DVD disk or drive. Just buy another hard
disk and attach internally. Dirt cheap and easy. If you don't like to open
your machine or if it is a laptop, then get an external HD and attach via
USB and do it that way.

Greg.

Diamontina Cocktail

Rock said:
Depends on what you want to do. If you want to restore the system to the
state it was in before the problem arose then it's simple, image the
complete disk.

I use Acronis True Image Home version 10 on both XP and Vista. It works
fine. Others are Symantec Ghost, BootIt NG, Terabyte Unlimited Image for
Windows and Casper XP.

Word of caution though - with True Image 10 there is an option, when doing a
backup either manually or as a task, to VALIDATE the backup after it is
completed. It adds considerable time to the whole process but it is worth
it. Backups can SAY they run properly in ANY backup program and for unknown
reasons, it isn't always true. The VALIDATE option always picks up a backup
that stuffed up so you can do it again.

philo

John said:
Did you image just the partition or the whole disk?

One of each.

For the first time I used it...it was just one partition.

The next time (on another machine) the entire HD (which had two partitions)

worked just fine both times

Timothy Daniels

John said:
I need to disk image my xp pro so I can restore easy in case
of a crash. I have two questions;

1. My xp pro drive has two partitions and WINDOWS folder
is in the first partition. Would disk imaging the first partition do
or do I need to do the whole disk to ensure MBR images as well?

2. What is a good disk imaging software? I was considering
Acornis True Image Workstation.

It depends on which cloning utility you use. Acronis True
Image clones the entire hard drive. Ghost and Casper can
clone a single partition or several partitions and put them
on the destination HD even if there are already several
partitions already there. Casper, as I recall assumes you
want to copy the MBR to the destination HD, and Ghost
will give you the option of copying the MBR or not. True
Image is a highly-rated archiving utility, and so are Ghost
and Casper, et. al. But for cloning individual partitions,
True Image can't do it.

BTW, the major HD manufacturers make available
downloadable cloning utilities that will work with their
own HDs. These utilities are meant to be used by customers
who are upgrading their HDs to a larger size, so the utilities
will copy *all* the partitions onto the destination HD and
adjust the sizes of the partitions upwards proportionally to
fit the new HD. If you intend always to clone the entire HD,
this is a free alternative.

*TimDaniels*

Diamontina Cocktail

Any program you care to name for whatever purpose will be "iffy" with dodgy
memory. You cant blame one program for that!!

Diamontina Cocktail

Timothy Daniels said:
It depends on which cloning utility you use. Acronis True
Image clones the entire hard drive. Ghost and Casper can

TI also allows you to backup single partitions or just folders.

Joe At Work

Hmmm, True Image seems to clone individual partitions here.