Disk Drfragmenter won't run?; scannow disables CD drive, can't read XP CD?

Nehmo Sergheyev

XP home SP1 using NTFS file system

I try to run disk defragmenter, dfrg.msc , by
start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Defragmenter>,
and windows says it doesn't know how to open it.

When I go to the file in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc
and look at its properties, it says Opens with Unknown Application.

I notice there is also a defrag.exe in that folder. When I try that, a
DOS widow appears briefly and then disappears.

If I try to run Disk Defragmenter by
Start> My Computer> select hard drive C> Properties> Tools tab>
Defragment Now.
I get a warning: Disk Defragmenter is not installed.to install double
click on the Add or Remove Programs icon .Click the Install/Uninstall
tab.
On my XP, it's an Add or Remove Windows Components icon which starts
Windows Component Wizard, and I don't see how to add Disk Defragmenter.
Besides, I can see it's already there in the system32 folder.

Other people who have had this problem have been told to run
sfc /scannow from the Run window to replace protected system files that
may have become corrupt.
So I try it, but at a point, the program asks for the XP CD. I insert,
but then (perhaps not right away) it says it's the wrong disk or the
drive isn't working. And the drive isn't working. Even the eject button
on the CD drive doesn't work, and the CD drive doesn't show up in Win
Explorer. I restart, then the CD drive works properly, and yes I'm using
the correct WinXP CD.

Q1: What's the problem with running dfrg.msc ? Can't I just associate
the .msc file type to open with something?

Q2: Why can't I run sfc /scannow ? Why is the CD drive being disabled?

Please help my poor machine.

relic

Nehmo said:
[...]

Try: Start, Run and type in "chkdsk /f" without the quotes with XP.

sfc /scannow is looking for the SP1 files. You either needed to have saved
all the files placed in %SYSTEMROOT% when you installed SP1, or you need to
create a slip-streamed CD. Alternatively, boot the XP CD and follow the
prompts for an installation; after you hit F8 to accept the EULA and select
the drive where XP is currently installed, take the Repair option it gives
you.

Lareman

Nehmo said:
[...]

You have zapped XP very well.WinHex no doubt.
Try to live with it.
Larry

Robert

[...]

_______________

Hi!
I suggest going to http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx for a
virus scan.

Nehmo Sergheyev

I found that all programs with the extension .msc [1] didn't open. But
they are supposed to open with mmc.exe (Microsoft Management Console),
which is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ . So I fixed the association in the
Open With dialog box and used the Always Open With check box. Now
everything is okay again.

I also somehow got sfc /scannow to run. I just stuck the CD in and tired
again. It worked on the third attempt. However, using sfc /scannow
didn't change or fix anything.

Newsgroup on Microsoft Management Console

You can start mmc by typing mmc in the Run box

[1]
Local Users and Groups - lusrmgr.msc
Device Manager - devmgmt.msc
Component Services - comexp.msc