2wire router from yahoo att
windows xp
webroot antivirus with antispyware
microsoft xp professional
version 2002
service pack 3
intel pentium III processor
697 MHZ 256 MB ram

I intentionally pushed the restore system button after i descovered that i had a trojan horse in the system 32 folder.I just recently got all the services running again from the windows management instrument.The trojan is under control as it is in quarantine and my system is working nicely.The only problem is that i can't seem to get the disk defragmenter to analize or defrag.It will start up but when i try to analyze or defrag i keep getting the message "disk defragmenter could not start."Can someone please help me with this problem?

Reaction score
Don't seem as thou I can get any help on this matter.Is anyone here knowledegable on windows xp?I posted in the general section and didn't get much of a response.

Reaction score
Ok here's my suggestion, and i'll stick to this post. I'd say your "Trojan" caused some registry corruption.
And might still be on your machine. You can take my advice or leave it. Choice is yours.
Download and run the following one after the other.

1. Trend Micro Housecall

2. Super Anti Spyware

3.Ccleaner Slim Build

Once you have run those if they have made no change i'd suggest doing a repair install of XP, in my opinion always a good thing to do after a Trojan, although I personaly would have done a fresh install.. I shall ignore the other post you made for now, hopefuly mods will be along to sort it out soon, berfore it causes confusion.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Follow MadX's advice, if that don't work, come back to us and we will try other options.

We need to make sure you do not have any other nasties.

It may be that the Trojan "fix" left defrag corrupted.

:user:

I have closed the other post. ;)

Reaction score
Well on MadX's advice on downloading Micro Housecall i get "an error occured while trying to transfer data from the internet". Probably because I have the webroot antivirus with antispyware running which is a very good antivirus software.I have the trojan in quarantine and my computer in operating very swiftly and nicely as long as the antivirus program is running.I suspect that the trojan is in the system folder and it startup everytime i start my computer but as long as i keep it in quarantine everything runs just fine.I deleted the trojan after quarantining it but after reboot it start up again so on that note i just rescan and leave it in quarantine.The problem is 1.)i would like it to be completely out of my system.2)How do i defrag my computer?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It seems that every time you reboot the trojan reinstalls itself.

You need something stronger than the solution you're trying at the moment.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You are still infected ... Trojans, by their very nature, are very hard to delete.

I'll second your opinion on webroot's AV/Antispyware being effective and I'll go as far to say, is better than AVfeckinG. ;) However, it ain't eliminated the Tojan.

I suspect also that the 'trojan' is or may be affecting what you download ie, anti-virus/anti-malware. Did you try SuperAntiSpyware? It is very effective and is highly recommended in the Am fraternity.

If you are still having 'problems' then I strongly suggest you pop along to BleepingComputers and seek their advice/help ... they are very good at getting rid of nasties without usually resorting to a re-format.

:user:

Reaction score
As Mucks says you are probably still infected, have you tried Super Anti yet..?
What is the Trojan called ? That would help in finding a solution for you...

Reaction score
Well everything is taken care of guys.Thanks for the help.I have my windows automatic update turned on by default.About every other tuesday it automatic update itself.Well guess what?The windows update caught the trojan and deleted it!!The name of the windows update is the windows malware removal toolkit.The name of the trojan is: win NT/Alureon.C but my webroot antivirus program call it troj/agent-KET.So after the windows update(thank God for windows update)removed the malware I deleted the virus that was in quarantine ran my webroot antivirus software again and it reported everything is clean.So I ran the defrag again and the defrag is working now and my system is clean!!!

Reaction score
So the trojan(Win NT/Alureon.C also known as trojan/agent-KET) was the culpit that was no doubt in my system file that keep starting up everytime i reboot and that's why i couldn't defrag my computer

Reaction score
That was my only concern to be able to defrag my computer.I wasn't concern about my computer not running.It ran fine as long as the virus was in quarantine but i couldn't defrag my computer as long as it was infested with the virus

Ask a Question