Disabling Welcome screen - TweakUI not helping

Anne

I know this subject comes up a lot in here, but my version has a twist!

I have two users on this XPHome machine, but the vast majority of the time
only use one, so want to disable the Welcome screen and log on automatically
as User1. I've downloaded TweakUI, and set User1 to log on automatically
at startup, but the fix is only temporary - after one or two reboots, the
system reverts to showing the Welcome screen.

Any suggestions on how to make the change permanent, short of deleting
User2?

TIA,
Anne..

Jason Green

I found this in another post.

Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

On the Users tab, highlight the account you want automatically logged on.

Uncheck the box, Users must enter a username and password..........

Click Apply.

In the next dialog, enter the password for the account you chose in step 2, if there is one. If not, leave it blank.

Peter Foldes

Both user 1 and 2 have to be set as same with Tweak UI. If one is set and
then you access the other user after then user 1 will revert back. This can
be set permanently with X-Setup. I am saying this because I have had some
clients that run into this exact same issue. I found this to be the
solution.

Anne

"Jason Green" <Get Off ME> wrote in message
I found this in another post.

Click Start, Run and enter CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

On the Users tab, highlight the account you want automatically logged on.

Uncheck the box, Users must enter a username and password..........

Click Apply.

In the next dialog, enter the password for the account you chose in step
2, if there is one. If not, leave it blank.

Thanks Jason,

I've looked into this but no joy - neither user requires a password.

I've noted the run command for future reference though - thanks!
Anne.

Anne

Peter Foldes said:
Both user 1 and 2 have to be set as same with Tweak UI. If one is set and
then you access the other user after then user 1 will revert back. This
can
be set permanently with X-Setup. I am saying this because I have had some
clients that run into this exact same issue. I found this to be the
solution.

Thanks, but I'm only accessing User1.
I'll go and have a look at X-Setup though.

Anne.

If you disable the rarely used account then XP should go direct to your
desktop by default.
(Only one user with administrative privileges.)
When you want to use the other user profile just enable the account again
then logoff and logon.
To disable the account Right Click on "My Computer" and click "Manage".
SelectLocal Users and Groups/Users then right click the user you want to
disable, select "Properties" and on the "General" tab tick the "Account is
Disabled" box.

Petecee

Anne

petecee said:
If you disable the rarely used account then XP should go direct to your
desktop by default.
(Only one user with administrative privileges.)
When you want to use the other user profile just enable the account again
then logoff and logon.
To disable the account Right Click on "My Computer" and click "Manage".
SelectLocal Users and Groups/Users then right click the user you want to
disable, select "Properties" and on the "General" tab tick the "Account is
Disabled" box.

Petecee
Thanks, but XPHome doesn't have the LocalUsers and Groups facility.

Googling suggests a registry edit, so I'm holding that in reserve for when
it happens again.

A.