DirectPlay Test Fails

Phantom519

I can't host a multiplayer LAN game, in Once Upon a
Knight or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna specifically.
I click the option to host a game and the screen freezes
for a few seconds and then just stays on the same screen.
I never get to the game options screen. I know I can host
a UT 2003 game, and my TCP/IP config is working fine.

After further testing I find that my DirectPlay test
fails when trying to create a session in the dxdiag
utility. Here's the error I get when I try to run the
test and choose Create New Session. "DirectPlay test
results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT =
0x80158185 (error code)"

Please help!

Jimmy S.

Hi Phantom,

When LAN games don't connect, there are a few variables to consider, for
example check for a patch at: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

1. Disconnect from the Internet by physically unplugging the cable or DSL
line, and then since there's no longer danger of outside attacks, turn off
your software firewall (Norton's, McAfee, Zone Alarm, Outpost, ICF,
etc.) as these firewalls could be blocking data to and from your system.

2. If you use a router, it could be blocking you as well:
Routers have built-in port blocking firewalls based on NAT technology.
DirectX games require that ports be open in order for the data packets
to be able to travel from one system to another. Here's How to Configure
a router for Multiplayer: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#howto

3. If Step 1 applies to you, but you want an alternative solution, pick up a cross-
over cable from your local supply shop to directly connect one computer to
the other on a 2 player LAN, especially if both computers are close together.

4. If you have multiple network adapters, the game might be using the wrong one
To verify this behaviour, click Start / Control Panel / System / Hardware Tab
/ Device Manager, click the + next to Network Adapters, right click the adapter
which accesses the Internet, and "Disable" it from the right-click menu. If that
works, open Control Panel / Network Connections, click Advanced / Advance
Settings / click the LAN Connection and then the UP arrow to change it's priority
so it's at the top of the list. Test your Internet games to see if they work this way.

5. DirectX 9.0b may need to be installed on both systems:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90update_redist.exe

6. Universal PnP might need to be disabled in your router, or in Windows XP:
a) To enable or disable UPnP in XP, click Start / Run / type: services.msc
and you can then right-click Universal Plug and Play on the list to Start it.
b) Consult your router manual for the UPnP instructions for your model.

7. Network Adapter drivers may need to be updated on one or all machines.

8. You may need to specify the target IP using a game specific method.
Consult your game manual or readme file in the game directory. For MS
games: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;gmsnetw

9. You might be specifying the Public IP instead of the Private (LAN) IP.
To easily find the Public and Private IP numbers of the computer you
are using, visit: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat_or_not.php

For more in depth troubleshooting, try this MS Network Troubleshooting article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02april08.asp

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I can't host a multiplayer LAN game, in Once Upon a
| Knight or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna specifically.
| I click the option to host a game and the screen freezes
| for a few seconds and then just stays on the same screen.
| I never get to the game options screen. I know I can host
| a UT 2003 game, and my TCP/IP config is working fine.
|
| After further testing I find that my DirectPlay test
| fails when trying to create a session in the dxdiag
| utility. Here's the error I get when I try to run the
| test and choose Create New Session. "DirectPlay test
| results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT =
| 0x80158185 (error code)"
|
| Please help!

Do you have a firewall? If so, did you open the ports for DirectX? If you haven't already, you might want to read the Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320020 .

Unfortunately, that may still not solve your problem. I'm having the same problem, even though I followed the instructions in the Knowledge Base article. The strange thing this is that if I don't open up the ports on my router's firewall, I can still host Dungeon Siege games on my internal LAN. However, as soon as I open up the ports, the screen freezes momentarily, as you described, and then kicks me back out to the multiplayer window. The DirectPlay test gives me the same error that you got.

I've opened up all of the ports that were suggested, but I still can't host a DirectPlay session. Anybody else have any other suggestions?

Gib
----- Phantom519 wrote: -----

I can't host a multiplayer LAN game, in Once Upon a
Knight or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna specifically.
I click the option to host a game and the screen freezes
for a few seconds and then just stays on the same screen.
I never get to the game options screen. I know I can host
a UT 2003 game, and my TCP/IP config is working fine.

After further testing I find that my DirectPlay test
fails when trying to create a session in the dxdiag
utility. Here's the error I get when I try to run the
test and choose Create New Session. "DirectPlay test
results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT =
0x80158185 (error code)"

Please help!

Jimmy S.

Hi Gibraltar,

Did you try the suggestions I posted? I think Step 4 or 8 might help.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Do you have a firewall? If so, did you open the ports for DirectX? If you haven't already, you might want to read the
Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320020 .

| Unfortunately, that may still not solve your problem. I'm having the same problem, even though I followed the instructions in the
Knowledge Base article. The strange thing this is that if I don't open up the ports on my router's firewall, I can still host
Dungeon Siege games on my internal LAN. However, as soon as I open up the ports, the screen freezes momentarily, as you described,
and then kicks me back out to the multiplayer window. The DirectPlay test gives me the same error that you got.

| I've opened up all of the ports that were suggested, but I still can't host a DirectPlay session. Anybody else have any other
suggestions?

| Gib
| ----- Phantom519 wrote: -----
|
| I can't host a multiplayer LAN game, in Once Upon a
| Knight or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna specifically.
| I click the option to host a game and the screen freezes
| for a few seconds and then just stays on the same screen.
| I never get to the game options screen. I know I can host
| a UT 2003 game, and my TCP/IP config is working fine.
|
| After further testing I find that my DirectPlay test
| fails when trying to create a session in the dxdiag
| utility. Here's the error I get when I try to run the
| test and choose Create New Session. "DirectPlay test
| results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT =
| 0x80158185 (error code)"
|
| Please help!

Yes, I did find your suggestions helpful. I haven't gotten a chance to test them out yet, but I'll give them a try later. I'm going to try UPnP first. I already tired to enable UPnP on my router without any success, but I didn't know that I had to start the UPnP service on XP

Thanks
Gi

----- Jimmy S. wrote: ----

Hi Gibraltar

Did you try the suggestions I posted? I think Step 4 or 8 might help

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / Use
Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.co

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gm
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contac
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;to
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights

| Do you have a firewall? If so, did you open the ports for DirectX? If you haven't already, you might want to read th
Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320020

| Unfortunately, that may still not solve your problem. I'm having the same problem, even though I followed the instructions in th
Knowledge Base article. The strange thing this is that if I don't open up the ports on my router's firewall, I can still hos
Dungeon Siege games on my internal LAN. However, as soon as I open up the ports, the screen freezes momentarily, as you described
and then kicks me back out to the multiplayer window. The DirectPlay test gives me the same error that you got

| I've opened up all of the ports that were suggested, but I still can't host a DirectPlay session. Anybody else have any othe
suggestions

| Gi
| ----- Phantom519 wrote: ----

| I can't host a multiplayer LAN game, in Once Upon
| Knight or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna specifically
| I click the option to host a game and the screen freeze
| for a few seconds and then just stays on the same screen
| I never get to the game options screen. I know I can hos
| a UT 2003 game, and my TCP/IP config is working fine

| After further testing I find that my DirectPlay tes
| fails when trying to create a session in the dxdia
| utility. Here's the error I get when I try to run th
| test and choose Create New Session. "DirectPlay tes
| results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT
| 0x80158185 (error code)

| Please help

Jimmy S.

Good luck with that Gib. I find it's a good practice to connect without
using the router to see whether it's causing the problem. That will save
you a lot of troubleshooting time, and also if it is the router, most of the
router manufacturers provide free 1-800 tech support service. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| Yes, I did find your suggestions helpful. I haven't gotten a chance to test them out yet, but I'll give them a try later.
I'm going to try UPnP first. I already tired to enable UPnP on my router without any success, but I didn't know that I had to start
the UPnP service on XP.

| Thanks,
| Gib
|
| ----- Jimmy S. wrote: -----
|
| Hi Gibraltar,
|
| Did you try the suggestions I posted? I think Step 4 or 8 might help.
|
| --
| Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|

| Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________

| |
| | Do you have a firewall? If so, did you open the ports for DirectX? If you haven't already, you might want to read
the
| Knowledge Base article at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320020 .
| |
| | Unfortunately, that may still not solve your problem. I'm having the same problem, even though I followed the instructions
in the
| Knowledge Base article. The strange thing this is that if I don't open up the ports on my router's firewall, I can still
host
| Dungeon Siege games on my internal LAN. However, as soon as I open up the ports, the screen freezes momentarily, as you
described,
| and then kicks me back out to the multiplayer window. The DirectPlay test gives me the same error that you got.
| |
| | I've opened up all of the ports that were suggested, but I still can't host a DirectPlay session. Anybody else have any
other
| suggestions?
| |
| | Gib
| | ----- Phantom519 wrote: -----
| |
| | I can't host a multiplayer LAN game, in Once Upon a
| | Knight or Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna specifically.
| | I click the option to host a game and the screen freezes
| | for a few seconds and then just stays on the same screen.
| | I never get to the game options screen. I know I can host
| | a UT 2003 game, and my TCP/IP config is working fine.
| |
| | After further testing I find that my DirectPlay test
| | fails when trying to create a session in the dxdiag
| | utility. Here's the error I get when I try to run the
| | test and choose Create New Session. "DirectPlay test
| | results: Failure at step 9 (Creating Session): HRESULT =
| | 0x80158185 (error code)"
| |
| | Please help!
| |

Jimmy and Gib,

I'm all set. I disabled UPnP on my Linksys WRT54G router
and I can now host multiplayer games, and the DirectPlay
test is successful. UPnP, according to Linksys' web site
is meant to help automatically configure your network
devices. My set up is still working fine without UPnP.

I wasn't aware of a UPnP service that has to be started
on WinXP. Maybe if it's started on XP and enabled on the
router DirectPlay will work properly. I don't know and am
not going to test it because I'm all set with things the
way they're configured right now.
Good luck with that Gib. I find it's a good practice to connect without
using the router to see whether it's causing the problem. That will save
you a lot of troubleshooting time, and also if it is the router, most of the
router manufacturers provide free 1-800 tech support service. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

"Gibraltar" <[email protected]> wrote
in message (e-mail address removed)...

| Yes, I did find your suggestions helpful. I
haven't gotten a chance to test them out yet, but I'll
give them a try later.
I'm going to try UPnP first. I already tired to enable
UPnP on my router without any success, but I didn't know
that I had to start
the UPnP service on XP.

| Thanks,
| Gib
|
| ----- Jimmy S. wrote: -----
|
| Hi Gibraltar,
|
| Did you try the suggestions I posted? I think Step 4 or 8 might help.
|
| --
| Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
|

| Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-
us;top
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________
|
| "Gibraltar" <[email protected]>
wrote in message (e-mail address removed)...
| |
| | Do you have a firewall? If so, did you
open the ports for DirectX? If you haven't already, you
might want to read
the
| Knowledge Base article at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320020 .
| |
| | Unfortunately, that may still not solve your
problem. I'm having the same problem, even though I
followed the instructions
in the
| Knowledge Base article. The strange thing this
is that if I don't open up the ports on my router's
firewall, I can still
host
| Dungeon Siege games on my internal LAN. However,
as soon as I open up the ports, the screen freezes
momentarily, as you
described,
| and then kicks me back out to the multiplayer
window. The DirectPlay test gives me the same error that
you got.
| |
| | I've opened up all of the ports that were
suggested, but I still can't host a DirectPlay session.
Anybody else have any

Jimmy S.

Great news Gib! :) I suspected it was UPnP related.

Enjoy the game!
Jimmy.

| Jimmy and Gib,
|
| I'm all set. I disabled UPnP on my Linksys WRT54G router
| and I can now host multiplayer games, and the DirectPlay
| test is successful. UPnP, according to Linksys' web site
| is meant to help automatically configure your network
| devices. My set up is still working fine without UPnP.
|
| I wasn't aware of a UPnP service that has to be started
| on WinXP. Maybe if it's started on XP and enabled on the
| router DirectPlay will work properly. I don't know and am
| not going to test it because I'm all set with things the
| way they're configured right now.

| >|
| >| Yes, I did find your suggestions helpful. I
| haven't gotten a chance to test them out yet, but I'll
| give them a try later.
| >I'm going to try UPnP first. I already tired to enable
| UPnP on my router without any success, but I didn't know
| that I had to start
| >the UPnP service on XP.
| >|
| >| Thanks,
| >| Gib
| >|
| >| ----- Jimmy S. wrote: -----
| >|
| >| Hi Gibraltar,
| >|
| >| Did you try the suggestions I posted? I think
| Step 4 or 8 might help.
| >|
| >| --
| >| Cheers, Windows
| XP MVP Shell / User
| >| Jimmy S.
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >|
| >|
| >| Game FAQs:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| >| Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
| http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| >| MS Support at:
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-
| us;top
| >| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty;
| nor do I confer any rights.
| >|
| _________________________________________________________
| >|
| >| "Gibraltar" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | (e-mail address removed)...
| >| |
| open the ports for DirectX? If you haven't already, you
| might want to read
| >the
| >| Knowledge Base article at
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320020 .
| >| |
| problem. I'm having the same problem, even though I
| followed the instructions
| >in the
| >| Knowledge Base article. The strange thing this
| is that if I don't open up the ports on my router's
| firewall, I can still
| >host
| >| Dungeon Siege games on my internal LAN. However,
| as soon as I open up the ports, the screen freezes
| momentarily, as you
| >described,
| >| and then kicks me back out to the multiplayer
| window. The DirectPlay test gives me the same error that
| you got.
| >| |
| suggested, but I still can't host a DirectPlay session.
| Anybody else have any
| >other
| >| suggestions?
| >| |