Directory Link

C

Conrad Allen

I have a directory link to a couple of directories on my hard drive. I can't
remember how I created them. I can't find how to create them.
Anyone know what I'm talking about and able to give assistance? I'd
like to create a few more.

Thanks, and email me too if possible.

T

typical computer geek

right click on the folder you want on your desktop click create
shortcut...move shortcut to desktop

A

ANONYMOUS

No, I don't know what you are talking about but let me try to second
guess your question!

In modern terminology, directory is referred to as FOLDER unless you
mean something else. Now to create a link on your desktop try this:

1) Right-Click on the desktop;
2) Select New
3) Select Shortcut
4) Select Browse button
5) Point your mouse to MyComputer or click on + sign to expand
6) Double click on C: drive or click on + sign to expand
7) Select the folder you are interested in
8) Click OK

Hth

K

Keith Miller

Two possibilities I can think of:

1) They are reparse points. These show as type 'File Folder' in an explorer window, but can be identified using the 'Dir' command in a command prompt window -- where they are tagged as <JUNCTION> rather than <DIR>. Reparse points can be listed, created, and deleted using junction.exe from http://www.sysinternals.com

2) They are folder shortcuts, which are not the same thing as the more common shortcut to a folder. Folder shortcuts have a single page in their property window listing the type as "Folder" and the target path of the shortcut. In a detail view in explorer, their type is listed as "Folder" rather than "File Folder". These are most easily created by opening two explorer windows, one to the user's start menu folder, the other to the parent of the folder you wish to create a shortcut for. Right-click and drag the target folder to the Start Menu folder and select 'Create Shortcut' after releasing the right mouse button. The shortcut created in the Start Menu can then be moved wherever you like.

Good Luck,
Keith

Ask a Question