Direct connection from Win XP Pro to Win NT

G

I am trying to simply copy some files via direct serial cable from my old Win NT machine (IBM Thinkpad 600x laptop) to my new Win XP machine (Dell desk top). I tried using "Direct Cable Connect" under the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard, but to no avail the Com port on the NT side cannot be detected. Also tried Laplink Gold 11.3 and Avnets direct USB cables. In almost every case the com port on the NT side (laptop) cannot be detected. I tried disabling the infraredport on the NT side so as not to confuse any routing- but it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions on how to get my files over to the Win XP box (a few GBs in size) ? Under the ThinkPad Configuation it shows the serial port as COM1 and enabled.

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

If I remember correctly, WinNT cannot be made to support a direct
cable connection. You might try setting up a real network between the
two.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

G

OK. You have any advice on a good step by step resource to do that, assuming I know nothing to begin with..... ? Many Thanks j

Ask a Question