Dillemma: SQL Server CE or XML

Hi! I realize that this issue has been discussed a number of times in different forums and groups but I am still undecided.
We have a software package for the Home healthcare professionals and we are working on implementing some features of that package on a PPC. We will be using Webservices to access the data in a SQL Server 2000 database. Now, the issue I am having is in finding information on how complex the process of replication is using SQL Server CE on the PPC or when storing data as XML on the PPC. I have read through a lot of articles on MSDN and other websites but still not sure, what to choose. Are there any books specifically discussing this matter? I do refer to 'Microsoft .NET compact framework' by Andy Wigley and Stephen Wheelwright
Also, how does OpenNETCF work or how am I supposed to utilize its benefits
Thanks for your time
Regards
Raj

Brad Syputa - MS

There is a book called Sql Server CE Database Development with the .Net
Compact Framework by Rob Tiffany that you can take a look at.

As far as Replication goes, it is a powerful method of moving data
accurately. By default, Replication takes care of the integrity of the data
for you in the SQL Replication manner. It does require more setup and
knowledge, but if you need or can use the power of Replicatin, you should
give it a try.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?UmFq?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Dillemma: SQL Server CE or XML
| Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:36:10 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Hi! I realize that this issue has been discussed a number of times in
different forums and groups but I am still undecided.
We have a software package for the Home healthcare professionals and we are
working on implementing some features of that package on a PPC. We will be
using Webservices to access the data in a SQL Server 2000 database. Now,
the issue I am having is in finding information on how complex the process
of replication is using SQL Server CE on the PPC or when storing data as
XML on the PPC. I have read through a lot of articles on MSDN and other
websites but still not sure, what to choose. Are there any books
specifically discussing this matter? I do refer to 'Microsoft .NET compact
framework' by Andy Wigley and Stephen Wheelwright.
Also, how does OpenNETCF work or how am I supposed to utilize its benefits?
Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Raj

jez

I think that an xml implementation would be much easier and take less
time than an sql implementation. However it is true that with
replication you can go much further in the customization of data. It
all depends on what you need really.

I went for xml because I didn't need to store that much data and data
validation is made by my application.

hope this helps