Diagonal borders

gr8posts

Does anyone know
Why it is not possible to use Diagonal borders with conditional format ?
Is there any way to use Diagonal borders for empty or zerovalue cells
without using VBA?

Thank you for your time
Thanassis

AltaEgo

Greetings!

I never noticed that before It seems impossible in XL 2003 without code.

As a non-VBA solution, have you considered changing your background pattern?

gr8posts

Thanks for your answer Steve.

I have no idea how to create a custom cell pattern in Excel.

I have created an image (.jpg file which is a rectangle with diagonaldown
line) but I don't know how to use this as cell pattern.
Any suggestion is more than welcome.

I know only importing images and size them to the same dimentions of Cell,
but this is not cell pattern it is image object.
T.

AltaEgo

I was thinking of he standard choices rather than a custom background. Your
single X though the cell is unavailable but, you can get diagonal stripes of
cross-hatching. If this does not suit, my alternate is VBA.

Jim Cone

For what it is worth...
One cannot Conditionally Format cell diagonal borders using VBA in Excel.
You only have available four CF borders for a cell...
Constants -4131, - 4160, - 4107, - 4152
(xlLeft, xlTop, xlBottom, xlRight)
These are equivalent to constants 7, 8, 9, 10 for regular borders.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere>
wrote in message
I was thinking of he standard choices rather than a custom background. Your
single X though the cell is unavailable but, you can get diagonal stripes of
cross-hatching. If this does not suit, my alternate is VBA.

gr8posts

Finally I have simulated it using colours for the background and for the
diagonal border line. It is not perfect but it looks like the expected result
without VBA.

I am curious to know what prevents the activation of diagonal borders in
Conditional formatting. It seems to be the case for all versions of Excel.

If anyone has any information about it or could provide instructions for
creating custom patterns I will very much appreciate.

Thanks
Thanassis