DHTML Menu

Hello,
I have created an DHTML menu with the help of Ronx from this discussion
group and http://www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28 and I
need a little help adding more menu leafs. Please see the menu as its own
page wich I will be using as included content into the actual web page:
http://dominicursetta.com/testing_dhtml_menu.htm Here is the actual web
page: http://dominicursetta.com/testing.htm As you can see I cannot get the
extra menu leafs to stay where they are suppose to. Please help before I have
no hair left :)

Ronx

Move the menu leafs you have in testing.htm to the included page
testing_dhtml_menu.htm

At the moment you have both sets of menus trying to outdo each other,
which will definitely lead to confusion - I am confused as to which is
being displayed.
This type of menu is much easier to work on, and debug, when all the
component parts are in one place.

Ronx

I do not like the Sothink DHTML menu, but that is my personal opinion.

Have a look at the tutorial at
http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/menus/tutorial/
and see how I have implemented this at http://www.rxs-enterprises.org

I have started an easier tutorial for this type of menu at
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/faq/under_construction/flyout-menus.htmThis page is still under construction.The hardest part of this menu is following the CSS, but there is *no*JavaScript to place in the page.--Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/"Regina" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Ron, what do you think about Sothink DHTMLMenu Builder?> http://www.sothink.com/ I am thinking about purchasing this softwarebecause> I just can't get the coding down right.>> Thanks,> Regina>> "Ronx" wrote:>>> Move the menu leafs you have in testing.htm to the included page>> testing_dhtml_menu.htm>>>> At the moment you have both sets of menus trying to outdo eachother,>> which will definitely lead to confusion - I am confused as to whichis>> being displayed.>> This type of menu is much easier to work on, and debug, when allthe>> component parts are in one place.>> -->> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)>> Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.>> FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/>>>> "Regina" <[email protected]> wrote in message>> news:[email protected]...>> > Hello,>> > I have created an DHTML menu with the help of Ronx from this>> > discussion>> > group andhttp://www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28>> > and I>> > need a little help adding more menu leafs. Please see the menu as>> > its own>> > page wich I will be using as included content into the actual web>> > page:>> > http://dominicursetta.com/testing_dhtml_menu.htm Here is theactual>> > web>> > page: http://dominicursetta.com/testing.htm As you can see Icannot>> > get the>> > extra menu leafs to stay where they are suppose to. Please help>> > before I have>> > no hair left :)>>>>>>

Thanks Ron, Your website looks great! May I ask what you don't like about
Sothink? I am getting so confused with the code I need a template to work off
of I think.
Thanks again,
Regina

Ronx

The Sothink menu, as I recall, is entirely JavaScript. This means
that anyone without JavaScript is without navigation.
The Sothink menu is also not as flexible as home brew menus.

KOOLER

Take a look at www.codethat.com or javascript.coldev.com. These guys
are in business for much longer time and seems to have javascript
navigation building tools from the very beginning.

Thanks!

Anton

P.S. And don't forget to have a copy of your site w/o javascript menus.
Quite a lot of people do have javascript and f.e. flash stuff simply
disabled.

Hello Ron,
Well, I have thrown out the idea of using Sothink software. Instead I have
finally made my own menu using the the article you participated in from
http://www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28 It really does
explain everything once you get organized and know the meanings. If you could
look at my site http://www.dominicursetta.com/ the proplem I am having is
when you mouse over the links that do not have a menu leaf (Home,Pit Crew and
Sponsors) the menu leafs do not disappear. Please help!
Thank you for the article!
Regina

Trevor L.

Regina said:
Hello Ron,
Well, I have thrown out the idea of using Sothink software. Instead I
have finally made my own menu using the the article you participated
in from http://www.interlacken.com/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=28 It
really does explain everything once you get organized and know the
meanings. If you could look at my site http://www.dominicursetta.com/
the proplem I am having is when you mouse over the links that do not
have a menu leaf (Home,Pit Crew and Sponsors) the menu leafs do not
disappear. Please help!
Thank you for the article!
Regina

Hi Regina,

I am not Ron but I note that a menu item such as Photos has this
<a style="text-decoration: none" href="javascript:;"
onmouseover="FP_changeProp(/*id*/'photos',0,'visibility','show');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'photos',0,'style.visibility','visible');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'news',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'news',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'contact',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'contact',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'p2006',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'p2006',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'p2005',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'p2005',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'n2006',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'n2006',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'n2005',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'n2005',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'gif',0,'visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'gif',0,'style.visibility','hidden');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'gif',0,'visibility','show');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'gif',0,'style.visibility','visible')">

There are a heck of a lot of things happening onmouseover, but *none*
onmouseout.

Perhaps you need a set of FP_changeProp calls executed onmouseout to remove
the action taken onmouseover
e.g.
onmouseout=onmouseover="FP_changeProp(/*id*/'photos',0,'visibility','hide');;
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'photos',0,'style.visibility','hidden');

Or add some onmouseover="'FP_changeProp( ...... "calls to Home, Pit Crew,
Schedule, Sponsors

I am no expert, but it make sense to me :-D

Ronx

No - this menu works best without any onmouseout actions.
The menu options without a dropdown leaf require an onmouseover
behaviour to hide any open menu leafs.
In practice, you only need to add events for those leafs adjacent to
the menu item, not all of them.

I am currently using a much simpler construction for a flyout/dropdown
menu
(see working at http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/webfaqs.asp) which
relies on CSS with no JavaScript at all for Opera, Netscape and
FireFox, the JavaScript is to cover inadequacies in IE's CSS support.
http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/menus/tutorial/ for the full
tutorial.

Ronx

The menu options without a dropdown leaf require an onmouseover
behaviour to hide any open menu leafs.
In practice, you only need to add events for those leafs adjacent to
the menu item, not all of them.

While this menu is a very good exercise, there are simpler menus where
construction and editing are much easier, such as the one I am now
using at http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/webfaqs.asp
The tutorial for this is at
http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/menus/tutorial/ .

Hi Ron,
I took a look at the new tutorial and it will take me a while to understand
it. I am not quite ready for it. This last menu took me 3 days to figure out.
I hate to say it but I am still a beginner. What I need right now is a little
bit of help. http://www.dominicursetta.com/ When you mouse over the links
that do
not have a menu leaf (Home,Pit Crew and Sponsors) the menu leafs do not
disappear.
I appreciate the help!
Regina

Trevor L.

Ronx said:
No - this menu works best without any onmouseout actions.
The menu options without a dropdown leaf require an onmouseover
behaviour to hide any open menu leafs.
In practice, you only need to add events for those leafs adjacent to
the menu item, not all of them.

Yes, Ron

After replying to Regina, I thought that it would be better to add the
innouseover to menu options without a dropdown leaf, not all of them.

As you said, this menu is quite complex.