DFS Error 13539

James Goodman

I am encountering an annoying dfs error when trying to use this with frs.

I have a single AD domain, with two DC's, DC2, & SERVER1.

Both are configured for dfs.
The dfs root for each is \\DC2\root & \\SERVER1\Root respectively.

I created a share on DC2, called Test.
I then created a link to it.
Next, I created a shared folder Test on SERVER1.
For each, I specified the path as \\DC2\Test & \\SERVER1\Test respectively.

When I attempt to replicate the file (a single file named text.txt) from DC2
to SERVER1, I get the error:
"The File Replication Service cannot replicate d:\test because the pathname
of the replicated directory is not the fully qualified pathname of an
existing, accessible local directory."

I dont understand how, it has changed it to a local directory. I entered the
directory using a UNC path.

Any suggestions?

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for posting.

I understand that the File Replication Service is unable to replicate the
folders and the system displays error 13539.

Please try the following suggestion.

1. If possible delete the Replication set, recreate a new one with a
different name and check if it replicates.
2. Verify ntfrs service is started.
3. Make sure that permission on the share are not restrictive.
4. Check Ntfrs security permission.

Also please refer to the following article.

How to Troubleshoot the File Replication Service and the Distributed File
System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272279

If the issue persists, please provide us more details. Also mention any
other event that is logged in the event viewer.

I hope the above information helps to resolve your issue. If there is
anything unclear, please feel free to let me know. Thank you and have a
nice day!

Rashmi

From: "James Goodman" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE>
Subject: DFS Error 13539
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:18:30 +0100
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server,microsoft.public.win2000.file_syste
m,microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs

[...]

It looks like it was a permissions error.

I added SYSTEM with full control to the test folder & it appears to be
working.

Are there any other permissions I should be setting on dfs folders?

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello James,

Thanks for letting us know that the issue is resolved.

Please provide the permissions to the users who need access to the contents
of the folder and to the user account used for File Replication Service.

I hope I answered your query.

Thank you,

Rashmi

From: "James Goodman" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE>
Subject: Re: DFS Error 13539
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:49:42 +0100
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

It looks like it was a permissions error.

I added SYSTEM with full control to the test folder & it appears to be
working.

Are there any other permissions I should be setting on dfs folders?

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

The default account used for File Replicaiton Service is Local System
Account.

regards,
Rashmi

From: "James Goodman" <jamesATnorton-associates.co.ukREMOVE>