DFS backup short term fix

G

I have to bring down my server down to sort out an issue with the tape drive. no tape drive = no backup for the past 2 months. I am looking for a "quick fix" to backup the data on the server before I bring it down. I have setup another DC and copied the AD across and have tried using DFS to replicate the data onto the new machine but with no sucess. The more I read the more I see this is not what DFS is intended for, is this correct? Simply copying the files across is not an option. how can I replicate the files (all in one folder) to my other server
TI
Paul M

H

Herb Martin

Xcopy or Robocopy is probably sufficient.

Just write a script that does the copy maybe with
these switches

xcopy /c /d /h /v /s /o /y sourcePath destinationPath 2>1 >c:\xcopylog.txt

You're right, that DFS is not intended for this.

G

I wrote the batch file and used task scheduler to run last night at 9pm. Got into work this morning and low and behold all of our precious files had been copied across. I used the /d switch so I assume if I set it to run everynight it would only transfer any new files and update any old ones? Thank you for the kind assisstance

Paul Mills

Ask a Question