From: "cw" <[email protected]>
Sender: "cw" <[email protected]>
Subject: dfrg.msc on Win2000
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:51:22 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

How to schedule the dfrg.msc?
As I understand, when I try to schedule the
defragmentation using the tool "dfrg.msc", it pops up the
screen and stay for further instruction.
Does the dfrg tool have any argument so that I can ask the
tool does the "analysis" or "defragmentation"?
Thanks alot

- CW

Drew Cooper [MSFT]

What about defrag.exe on the cmdline? Is that an option?
I wrapped it in a batch file, scheduled it with "at", and it worked for me.

masterprometheus

I believe defrag.exe is only found in Windows XP (and maybe later).
For Win2k this free tool can be used :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/autodefrag/

But it's better to get a third party defragger that has scheduling bulit-in.

Regards
MP

--
Drew Cooper [MSFT]

Joe Griffin said:
CW,
You cannot schedule the defragmenter to run in Windows 2000.
Please review the following KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;227463
Joe Griffin[MS]
rights.

Drew Cooper [MSFT]

Ah - you're right - defrag.exe not on 2k. And there doesn't seem to be a
(documented?) way to script dfrgntfs.exe or dfrgfat.exe. A WMI script can
do it, though:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/ScriptCenter/dfs/ScrDFS49.asp

--
Drew Cooper [MSFT]

Joe Griffin said:
CW,
You cannot schedule the defragmenter to run in Windows 2000.
Please review the following KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;227463
Joe Griffin[MS]
rights.