Desktop Live Mail Nukes File Associations for OE NG messages

Steve Cochran

You'll have to ask them why they do such. There is a NG devoted to WLMD.

You might also ask them why the uninstall doesn't restore the previous
registry values.

steve

Chad Harris said:
I have been doing that, but probably not as consistently and frequently as
I should. Nothing like a problem where you can't open something you use
every day (in this case newsgroup messages taken out of the OE gui--I
thought I had done it on the Vista boot, but I had not installed the
Windows Live Desktop mail, and I'm studying the corresponding keys and the
additional ones in that location of HKCR now. There are some additional
ones, as you know.

This may sound off the wall, but you wonder if Vista security is supposed
to be so competent, why Win Mail Live is allowed to take over that
association if it did, (I could set a restore point and install it on
Vista, but I'm not going to--on an experimental machine or a Virtual PC I
would).

The reason I thought about this is that I went to click modify on the reg
values there in Vista and it gave me a message that said (on some but not
all of the values for Microsoft Internet News Message after I clicked
Modify:

"Cannot edit. Error writing the new contents"

I imagine that is security for someone else editing the reg, and I could
easily edit by simply tweaking permissions, but I bet Steve it would not
stop Windows Mail Desktop Live from scrweing up those values and doing the
same thing to Vista's Win Mail messages (*outside of Win mail) that you
enabled me to fix in XP.

Many many thanks for your *sticking with me and fixing this. I still
(call it dense, that's fine) am not sure what you would have had me do
with that notepad of several reg keys/values though.

That's these guys (I ask because I didn't need to use them--I simply
needed to change the value at the subkey command.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message]
@="Internet News Message"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message\CLSID]
@="{5645C8C0-E277-11CF-8FDA-00AA00A14F93}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message\DefaultIcon]
@=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\

00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,4f,00,75,00,74,00,6c,00,6f,00,6f,00,6b,00,20,00,45,00,\

78,00,70,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,69,00,6d,00,6e,00,2e,\
00,65,00,78,00,65,00,2c,00,2d,00,35,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\

00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,4f,00,75,00,74,00,6c,00,6f,00,6f,00,6b,00,20,00,\

45,00,78,00,70,00,72,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,69,00,6d,00,6e,\

00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2f,00,6e,00,77,00,73,00,3a,00,25,00,\
31,00,00,00

Had I picked off just to change that one value at the subkey command
originally, I'd have had it fixed immediately.

Nice job. I suppose now knowing what I learned from you, I could install
Desktop Live Mail's beta either on XP or Vista and get my file
associations back. I'm not sure what it would do to the Live Mail, but I'm
going to try to ask that team why they take over file associations and how
both could coexist. Of course Win Mail will coexist with it or OE--in the
application--it's when you drag those email messages out to another folder
for reference that the trouble starts. I don't think I'm the only one who
saves and drags selected email posts.

CH

Steve Cochran said:
You go to the registry and look. <G>

steve

Chad Harris said:
I know you've had OE expertise for a long time, but how in the world do
you figure these reg values/keys out?

CH

You are making this too difficult. <G>

If you expand the SHELL key you have listed below, there is a subkey
called Open under that (or there should be) and under that is a subkey
called Command. That subkey has a default value. Set that default
value to:

"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /nws:%1

see what that does.

steve

"Chad Harris" <getsomevistainfoout.net> wrote in message
Steve--

Let me recap so I can get your instructions right.

I'm going to confine this to XP because I can extrapolate on the Vista
boot with what you've already given me.

Currently on XP:

1) I reinstalle SP2 with no change.
2) If I go to the ke HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message

there are two subkeys:

CSLID
SHELL

If I click on \Microsoft Internet News Message in the right pane there
is a "ab" icon and value data is blank on it.

If I try to click on one of the news messages that are dragged outside
of OE, now what pops up is the OE interface whether it is open or not.

1) I have not done this step from you (not because I don't want to but
because I don't know how):

Attached is the correct setting for nws (Microsoft Internet News
Message)
file types. You don't need to reinstall.

Remove the txt file extension and then you can merge it into the
registry.
You might check the key first to see what's there already.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message

That's for XP (or Server 2003)

I don't know how to take ther regedits in your notepad and "merge"
them into the reg. In order to make the regedits, I'd have to create
both new subkeys and values if I understand them correctly. Or did
you mean to do it some other way.

What exactly do I do with the notepad? For example does this mean to
create a new D_Word value called Edit Flags>right click the created
value>and paste into the modified value on the right click
context>00000000?

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message]
@="Internet News Message"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000

As you can see I would have to create both subkeys and values to get
the rest of the notepad into my registry unless you mean to do
something else as to the merge and you may well,

2) If I click on any of the news messages outside of OE they open up
OE. If I right click on them>open with>has open with msimn and so does
Open Expert--IU downloaded Baxbeb's open expert hoping it would
straight things out and it hasn't.

3) At control folders' File Types Tab if I scroll down to NWS I have
the File Type NWS located and the details section on the bottom says
"Opens with Outlook Express."

4) Your latest instruction is this and I don't know where I should
apply it.

So in summary I wanted to show you

1) what I have at the locations of interest
2) ask what to do with that notepad of regedits exactly? (Do I need to
create the new subkeys and values as I showed you in the exsample
3) What to do with the latest instruction and where?

The minute I can understand what to do with these and where, I'll
deploy them.

Thanks much.

CH

Sorry the export resulted in Unicode characters instead of readable
ones.

Here's the open action:

"c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /nws:%1

See if that gets it for you.

In Vista its

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" /nws:%1

steve

"Chad Harris" <getsomevistainfoout.net> wrote in message
Thanks very much Max for the perspective and your excellent posts on
different groups, and Steve for your perspective and sticking with
this. I'll tell you what I've done that hasn't helped yet, but I
need to implement that list of regedits (merge them) that Steve
provided in his notepad. I'm not quite sure what to do. I need to
know how--sorry for that.

I'm on the XP boot now, so I'll stick with it.

I went to the reg key you named
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft Internet News Message

and I modified the only value in the right pane from

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE "%1" (it read
that because I modified it to word pad using the browse I suppose
and I say I suppose because every time I open one of them I have to
right click and open with wordpad to read it--or at least notepad or
Word would work as well) so I don't know why that changed the reg
value but it die.

If I change the reg value to

c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe

then what that does is change the washed out icons by those news
messages to tiny OE icons but clicking on them by a message only
opens up the OE newsgroup interface to the newsgroup I happen to
have it opened to at the time.

That leaves adding those reg sub keys you gave me but I need to know
how to do that.

Thanks,

CH

Well I have similarly complained about this in the Vista.general
NG. There seems to be no way to actually edit many of the aspects
of the associations without resulting to manually editing the
registry. A huge backwards step by MS with regard to such.

That's why it was easier just to post the registry entries relative
to the NWS file, rather than have to go through each setting
(although he was mostly referring to XP in his second message,
where you can edit the settings).

steve

Hi, Steve - and Chad.

Frustratin', ain't it?

Chad, I saw what you saw with OE/WM a couple of weeks ago, but it
involved a couple of Adobe applications.

Every time I tried to read a PDF file, Vista tried to open it with
Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, rather than Adobe (formerly Acrobat)
Reader. "Oh, I know how to fix that simple problem", I told
myself. So I went to Folder Options - but File Types is not there
in Vista, like it was in WinXP. So, back to Control Panel and
this time to Default Programs. First I clicked Set your default
programs...Wrong! Next I clicked Associate a file type or protocol
with a program. Aha! There's the list of extensions that used to
be in Folder Options. I scrolled down to .pdf and saw that it was
set to default to PSE4. So I clicked Change program... and the
Open with screen appeared. PSE4 was the only app under
Recommended Programs; under Other Programs was...Nothing! I
couldn't even Browse to find Reader. :>( All I could do was keep
the association with PSE.

Finally, I uninstalled Reader and installed it again and the
proper association was established automatically. Now, the Open
with screen includes PSE, Word and Reader as Recommended Programs.
So if I hadn't been through the adventure, I would not understand
that, sometimes, Reader does not appear here.

That fixed the problem with Reader, but I don't see how it could
work with OE or WM, since they are integral to WinXP and Vista.
Maybe the Registry hack is the only way.

I'm posting this mostly just to let you both know that Chad is not
imagining things. Sometimes, Vista does not make the right file
associations - and doesn't offer all the proper applications under
Folder Options.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Should be c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe and
c:\program files\windows mail\winmail.exe.

Too early in the am.

steve

I have tried many ways to reassociate the NWS file with it, but
I can't find
it because it is not listed on the open with >browse dialogue
box, and I
cannot figure out where to browse to get that file association
back--I've
tried a lot of places and like I said, going to any of the known
places
where OE messages are stored--.dbx, etc. does not work for me.
Maybe I'm
missing some place.

If you go to Open With for a nws file in either XP or Vista,
there is a Browse button to select the program. In XP the
program is OE (c:\program files\msimn.exe) and in Vista, the
program is WinMail (c:\program files\windows mail). Can you not
set those as the programs to open the nws files? Furthermore,
if you go to Control Panel | Programs | Set Program access and
defaults in XP and make OE default, that should fix it (it might
not) or in Vista going to Control Panel | Default program and
making WinMail there default.

That's what I don't understand, now that is clear you weren't
uninstalling WinMail as you first indicated.

cheers,

steve
<SNIP>

Chad Harris

Thanks. I completely forgot that NG and I'll take it there. I apprecite
your help right on target that fixed something I had been spending a couple
days trying to fix with no luck--with that change to the command subkey's
value.

I should have looked at that value on any XP box on the street, and it
would have been a way for me to get things back to normal.

I'm sorry it is taking me so long though to figure out how you wanted me to
use the notepad series of keys. My curiosity makes me wonder though when
you wanted me to merge them how that would have been done.

I notice on Vista, that HKCR has more values and different *value
data*--which might also have worked on XP to remedy my problem --I wouldn't
know until I tried
them. I know they are there for reasons-but I'm not sure why,

I appreciate your time and the fix.

CH

Steve Cochran said:
> [...]

tried a lot of places and like I said, going to any of the
known places
where OE messages are stored--.dbx, etc. does not work for me.
Maybe I'm
missing some place.

If you go to Open With for a nws file in either XP or Vista,
there is a Browse button to select the program. In XP the
program is OE (c:\program files\msimn.exe) and in Vista, the
program is WinMail (c:\program files\windows mail). Can you
not set those as the programs to open the nws files?
Furthermore, if you go to Control Panel | Programs | Set
Program access and defaults in XP and make OE default, that
should fix it (it might not) or in Vista going to Control Panel
| Default program and making WinMail there default.

That's what I don't understand, now that is clear you weren't
uninstalling WinMail as you first indicated.

The shell | open | command for the Microsoft Internet News Message in Vista
is:

Chad Harris said:
Thanks. I completely forgot that NG and I'll take it there. I apprecite
your help right on target that fixed something I had been spending a
couple
days trying to fix with no luck--with that change to the command subkey's
value.

I should have looked at that value on any XP box on the street, and it
would have been a way for me to get things back to normal.

I'm sorry it is taking me so long though to figure out how you wanted me
use the notepad series of keys. My curiosity makes me wonder though when
you wanted me to merge them how that would have been done.

I notice on Vista, that HKCR has more values and different value
data--which might also have worked on XP--I wouldn't know until I tried
them.

I have a screenshot of them attached.