Desktop Icon placement

I place all my icons on my desktop at my desired locations. Unfortunately
this assignment gets all messed up when I connect to a lower resolution
projector / monitor. I want the ability to "save" my desktop icon settings
and re-apply these saved settings when I wish.

Is this possible in Windows?

Ted Zieglar

When you change resolutions you are changing the dimensions of your
view, so you should not be surprised if the icons move from their
original positions.

Ken Blake, MVP

Bald said:
I place all my icons on my desktop at my desired locations.
Unfortunately this assignment gets all messed up when I connect to a
lower resolution projector / monitor. I want the ability to "save" my
desktop icon settings and re-apply these saved settings when I wish.

Is this possible in Windows?

No, but there are several third-party programs that let you save the setup
and restore it if it gets messed up. One such program is "Save my desktop"
at
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,22891-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html

D. Spencer Hines

Yes -- with an add-on.

Get WinTidy.

Great little program.

Google for it...

DSH

Thanks... but positional change is not what I am complaining about. The icons
get completely jumbled up.

D. Spencer Hines

WinTidy is more sophisticated than "Save My Desktop".

You can also save various icon layouts with WinTidy, not just one, and
restore them as you wish -- for example different layouts for different
screen resolutions -- or just a single one.

You can also adjust the size of the icons.

Please let us know how it goes.

DSH

This is so cool... You guys are a great help.

Anyway, I tried the program from your link. It's called "Save My Desktop".
The plus is that it is extremely simple to use, no jazz tool. Problem is that
there are some bugs in it, I'm sure. I was testing it out and my taskbar
disappeared. Not too pleasant an experience. Again, maybe it was user-error.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help. I think the other one, WInTidy, though
not perfect, does the job.

Regards

Like I said in my other post, I liked WinTidy much more than "Save My
Desktop". Lots of cool, very useful functionality (like auto arrange on
resolution change, save multiple layouts, etc.). There ARE issues with it,
some icons and short cuts, every now and then, get moved away from where they
were, but all in all, this is something that most people can live with.

Thanks again.

Ken Blake, MVP

Bald said:
This is so cool... You guys are a great help.

Anyway, I tried the program from your link. It's called "Save My
Desktop". The plus is that it is extremely simple to use, no jazz
tool.

That's why I like it. Other programs, like WinTidy (which I used to use),
may have more functionality, but "Save My Desktop" meets all of my needs.

Problem is that there are some bugs in it, I'm sure. I was
testing it out and my taskbar disappeared. Not too pleasant an
experience. Again, maybe it was user-error.

I don't know what caused it, but I've never had that problem here.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help. I think the other one, WInTidy,
though not perfect, does the job.

Great! If you like it better than WinTidy, then you should be happy with
it.

I do like it... There is 1 case where I would use it in conjunction with
WinTidy and that is for my default desktop (highest res). It works flawlessly
for singular use cases.

D. Spencer Hines

You're quite welcome.

DSH

Like I said in my other post, I liked WinTidy much more than "Save My
Desktop". Lots of cool, very useful functionality (like auto arrange on
resolution change, save multiple layouts, etc.). There ARE issues with it,
some icons and short cuts, every now and then, get moved away from where
they
were, but all in all, this is something that most people can live with.

Thanks again.

Ayush

Where is WinTidy ? I can't find it for free. The PCMAG wants $$

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| You're quite welcome.
|
| DSH

| |
| > Like I said in my other post, I liked WinTidy much more than "Save My
| > Desktop". Lots of cool, very useful functionality (like auto arrange on
| > resolution change, save multiple layouts, etc.). There ARE issues with
it,
| > some icons and short cuts, every now and then, get moved away from where
| > they
| > were, but all in all, this is something that most people can live with.
| >
| > Thanks again.
| >
| > "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
| >
| >> WinTidy is more sophisticated than "Save My Desktop".
| >>
| >> You can also save various icon layouts with WinTidy, not just one, and
| >> restore them as you wish -- for example different layouts for
different
| >> screen resolutions -- or just a single one.
| >>
| >> You can also adjust the size of the icons.
| >>
| >> Please let us know how it goes.
| >>
| >> DSH

Alec S.

Ayush said:
Where is WinTidy ? I can't find it for free. The PCMAG wants $$

Who said anything about free? It's not mentioned in the thread.

Regardless, WinTidy IS free. The fee is for access to the PCMagazine website, to download it from them.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

--
Ayush [ Be ''?'' Happy ]
| You're quite welcome.
|
| DSH

| |
| > Like I said in my other post, I liked WinTidy much more than "Save My
| > Desktop". Lots of cool, very useful functionality (like auto arrange on
| > resolution change, save multiple layouts, etc.). There ARE issues with
it,
| > some icons and short cuts, every now and then, get moved away from where
| > they
| > were, but all in all, this is something that most people can live with.
| >
| > Thanks again.
| >
| > "D. Spencer Hines" wrote:
| >
| >> WinTidy is more sophisticated than "Save My Desktop".
| >>
| >> You can also save various icon layouts with WinTidy, not just one, and
| >> restore them as you wish -- for example different layouts for
different
| >> screen resolutions -- or just a single one.
| >>
| >> You can also adjust the size of the icons.
| >>
| >> Please let us know how it goes.
| >>
| >> DSH

D. Spencer Hines

Bingo!

Only $7.97.

The bloke should just pay it.

DSH

Alec S. said:
"Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
Where is WinTidy ? I can't find it for free. The PCMAG wants $$

Who said anything about free? It's not mentioned in the thread.

Regardless, WinTidy IS free. The fee is for access to the PCMagazine
website, to download it from them.

Alec S.

D. Spencer Hines said:
Bingo!

Only $7.97.

The bloke should just pay it.

Pay $8 for what? Access to the PCMag website? They only want the one utility which is free. All of their stuff was/is free, you
just have to pay for the access to get it from their site.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

Alec S. said:
"Ayush" <ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com> wrote in message
Where is WinTidy ? I can't find it for free. The PCMAG wants $$

Who said anything about free? It's not mentioned in the thread.

Regardless, WinTidy IS free. The fee is for access to the PCMagazine
website, to download it from them.

D. Spencer Hines

Dead Wrong.

Pay the $7.97 -- or more, and download files for a year.

DSH

Alec S. said:
news:OQ1J%[email protected]...

D. Spencer Hines said:
Dead Wrong.

Pay the $7.97 -- or more, and download files for a year.

No, dead right.

The fee is for the website which includes access to the files. The files themselves are free. You can also get them by subscribing
to the magazine, but again, the fee is for the magazine not the files.

If you think $50/year to access their site and download free files is worth it, then either you've got money to burn, or you don't
know the value of a dollar, either way you're lucky.

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net