desktop files moved to another folder under \favorites\desktop.

Problem:
vista ultimate X64
I was trying to switch users on my PC.
during switching it locked.
Mouse was moving but screen was blue/blank.
after about 10 minutes of inactivity I forced shutdown.
when loged back on.
all my filed and shortcuts disapeared.
after doing some searching I found that there are 2 folders called Desktop.
one is at users\"name"\desktop. The other one is at
users\"name"\favorites\destkop. For some reason when I log one my default
destkops is in favorites\destkop and not where it should be.
any idea how this could of happend and how do i fix it?

Michael Solomon

Eli said:
Problem:
vista ultimate X64
I was trying to switch users on my PC.
during switching it locked.
Mouse was moving but screen was blue/blank.
after about 10 minutes of inactivity I forced shutdown.
when loged back on.
all my filed and shortcuts disapeared.
after doing some searching I found that there are 2 folders called
Desktop.
one is at users\"name"\desktop. The other one is at
users\"name"\favorites\destkop. For some reason when I log one my default
destkops is in favorites\destkop and not where it should be.
any idea how this could of happend and how do i fix it?
How it happened likely has something to do with the lockup you mentioned
which probably led to some corruption.

You might try using the System Restore feature to return your settings and
registry to a date and time prior to when this happened.
All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. While System Restore
should only restore your settings and registry, you should make sure your
data is well backed up before using this feature.

problem is that for some unknown reason I only have restore point up to the
07/09.
and the problem happend on 07/07

Michael Solomon

Eli said:
problem is that for some unknown reason I only have restore point up to
the
07/09.
and the problem happend on 07/07
This won't resolve the problem you mentioned but if you happen to be dual
booting with XP or if you are using some disk cleanup utility, either can
cause you to lose restore points and might be the source of that issue.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Eli,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, thanks Michael for his information. If the problem
persists, I suggest you repair the Vista system:

1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
2. Choose your language settings and click Next
3. Click Repair your computer
4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up System
Recovery Options.
5. Click on Startup Repair

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "Michael Solomon" <user@#notme.com>
| Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
\favorites\desktop
| Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:01:06 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|

| | > problem is that for some unknown reason I only have restore point up to
| > the
| > 07/09.
| > and the problem happend on 07/07

| >> How it happened likely has something to do with the lockup you
mentioned
| >> which probably led to some corruption.
| >>
| >> You might try using the System Restore feature to return your settings
| >> and
| >> registry to a date and time prior to when this happened.
| >> All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore. While System
| >> Restore
| >> should only restore your settings and registry, you should make sure
your
| >> data is well backed up before using this feature.
| >> --
| >> Michael Solomon
| >> Backup is a PC user's best friend
| >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| >>
| This won't resolve the problem you mentioned but if you happen to be dual
| booting with XP or if you are using some disk cleanup utility, either can
| cause you to lose restore points and might be the source of that issue.
|
| --
| Michael Solomon
| Backup is a PC user's best friend
| DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Eli,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:09:41 GMT
| Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
\favorites\desktop
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello Eli,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, thanks Michael for his information. If the problem
| persists, I suggest you repair the Vista system:
|
| 1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
| 2. Choose your language settings and click Next
| 3. Click Repair your computer
| 4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
System
| Recovery Options.
| 5. Click on Startup Repair
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Michael Solomon" <user@#notme.com>
| | Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
| \favorites\desktop
| | Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:01:06 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| | > the
| | > 07/09.
| | > and the problem happend on 07/07

| mentioned

| your
| | >>
| | This won't resolve the problem you mentioned but if you happen to be
dual
| | booting with XP or if you are using some disk cleanup utility, either
can
| | cause you to lose restore points and might be the source of that issue.
| |
| | --
| | Michael Solomon
| | Backup is a PC user's best friend
| | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| |
| |

The problem was fixed.
since something was pointing my destkop to a diffrent folder I figured I
just need to find that problematic link.
I searched thru registry for an entry "favorites\desktop"
I found couple and deleted the "favorites\" part

saved, loged off, loged on.
Everything is working perfectly.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Eli,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:09:41 GMT
| Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
\favorites\desktop
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| Hello Eli,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| From your post, thanks Michael for his information. If the problem
| persists, I suggest you repair the Vista system:
|
| 1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
| 2. Choose your language settings and click Next
| 3. Click Repair your computer
| 4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
System
| Recovery Options.
| 5. Click on Startup Repair
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Michael Solomon" <user@#notme.com>
| | Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
| \favorites\desktop
| | Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:01:06 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| | > the
| | > 07/09.
| | > and the problem happend on 07/07

| mentioned

| your
| | >>
| | This won't resolve the problem you mentioned but if you happen to be
dual
| | booting with XP or if you are using some disk cleanup utility, either
can
| | cause you to lose restore points and might be the source of that issue.
| |
| | --
| | Michael Solomon
| | Backup is a PC user's best friend
| | DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
| |
| |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Eli,

Thanks for your response and let us know the problem has been resolved.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?RWxp?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
\favorites\desktop
| Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:56:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|
| The problem was fixed.
| since something was pointing my destkop to a diffrent folder I figured I
| just need to find that problematic link.
| I searched thru registry for an entry "favorites\desktop"
| I found couple and deleted the "favorites\" part
|
| saved, loged off, loged on.
| Everything is working perfectly.
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Eli,
| >
| > I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any
updates
| > or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let
me
| > know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| > | Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 06:09:41 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: desktop files moved to another folder under
| > \favorites\desktop
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| > | From your post, thanks Michael for his information. If the problem
| > | persists, I suggest you repair the Vista system:
| > |
| > | 1. Boot into Vista installation DVD
| > | 2. Choose your language settings and click Next
| > | 3. Click Repair your computer
| > | 4. Choose your operating system and click Next. This should bring up
| > System
| > | Recovery Options.
| > | 5. Click on Startup Repair
| > |
| > | Thanks & Regards,
| > |
| > | Ken Zhao
| > |
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > | Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > |
| > | Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > | ====================================================
| > | When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > | that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > | ====================================================
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > |
| > |
| > |