Windows Vista Desktop Display Gone Missing

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice about Revo. :nod: It failed for the same reasons as all the other attempts ("another program is being installed")

I tried reinstalling the HP drivers but they did not install because "they were no better than the ones already installed" :wall:

Reaction score
Ok what I think has happened is this> you have uninstalled the aforesaid software BUT as the drivers were probably supported by MS they would be shared therefore

Your system needs to update those drivers all you have to do is find which ones? So as I have said a re-install is your best option or you ain`t going to resolve the issue?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks itsme. :thumb: If I have uninstalled the software would it still appear in the Program Files? All the HP files still seem to be present and every attempt to remove them gives me a message stating "uninstall not completed"

As to your suggestion of a reinstall, I'm beginning to feel that that might be the only answer. However, as a COMPLETE non-techy I find the idea a bit daunting. I would need to be led, very carefully, through the procedure by someone who knows what they're doing and who has a lot of patience.

Actually, it might make a good thread.
nod.gif
Novice being shown how to do a reinstall by knowledgable one. There would be plenty of dumb questions from me (and maybe others) but it could be the basis of a good lesson in basic computing.

Anybody willing to be the knowledgable one?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks itsme. :thumb: If I have uninstalled the software would it still appear in the Program Files? All the HP files still seem to be present and every attempt to remove them gives me a message stating "uninstall not completed"
Thats the problem. You have removed the uninstall feature for the programs therfore you will still see them in the add/remove?

As to your suggestion of a reinstall, I'm beginning to feel that that might be the only answer. However, as a COMPLETE non-techy I find the idea a bit daunting. I would need to be led, very carefully, through the procedure by someone who knows what they're doing and who has a lot of patience.

You will benefit from the knowledge you gain:nod: Patience I have so if you start a thread I will gladly help you through the process of a complete re-install.
first off let me know what your spec is? No question is a dumb one as you ask for a reason so fire away.....:thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
A further follow up. I emailed the rig's manufacturers and they have suggested that I do a PC Restore which I believe is almost the same as a clean reinstall. It doesn't wipe the hard drive complely but simply restores the original factory settings and removes everything that has been added since Day 1. I will have to pull off all the important data to reinstall later.

This sounds like a good compromise at the moment and I will try this after the weekend when I have time. Full instructions on the procedure have been sent to me.

BTW, thanks itsme for your offer to help me out. :thumb: In one way I would have quite liked to do a complete reinstall just to see how it works and if this PC Restore is not successful I might still need to do it.

Reaction score
Well in a way it is better to use the manufacturers discs, just follow the instructions to the letter have patience and all should be well, if you get stuck just ASK:nod:

How many discs do you have? What make and spec is the PC?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Further Update
I have now done the PC Restore which has solved the problem. :thumb:

I am now in the process of putting everything back onto the system. :mad:

Still, it's good to have a desktop display again and the whole thing is now running quicker too. :)

Ask a Question