problem solved. Please forgive my English; of course is not my mother tongue:

M

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Your english is way better than some whose native language is English.. you
have nothing to apologise about..

Re. the printer.. it is getting old.. older printers, like humans, do not
operate so well as the parts start to wear.. check the printer manual
troubleshooting section.. you will find that it is more likely to be a
hardware issue than one related to Windows..

C

Chuck

If you are using the parallel port-- Try changing the parallel port mode in
BIOS and then windows to SPP. Chances are that the current mode is ECP, the
win XP default. Some of the older printers do not like ECP.

G

Thanks Chuck and Mike: I'm using a USB port. As an experiment I used parallel
port and the result was exactly the same I described in my first message. May
be Mike is right and the problem of the printer is oldness. Bub I think it
could be use for another little time. Thanks:
Roberto Elier

Reaction score
These are the instructions to use 640C with XP SP2.

The key point is that 640C is automatically detected by XP, installing a driver provided by Microsoft. This driver sometimes doesn't work.

You have to download the latest driver from www.hp.com. then follow these instruction from ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/software/dj658usb.txt.

(I know, it says 658 but the files says 640C)

HP DeskJet 640 Series Printer Driver-USB Please note that with this driver version:-Status messaging and bi-directional communication is not available.-Ink level indication on the PC is not available.-HP Print Previewer is not available.USB Installation Instructions:1. Create a new folder on the hard drive: c:\dj640 before downloading the printer driver. 2. Download the driver to the newly created c:\dj640 folder. 3. Open the c:\dj640 folder and double-click the downloaded "exe" file. 4. Under c:\dj640 folder a folder such as, "2kxpinf" will be displayed. This folder was created by double-clicking on the downloaded "exe" file.5. Power on your printer, and connect your printer to the computer with a USB cable.Note: You may see dialog boxes next to your task bar indicating "Found New Hardware" . This dialog is indicating that the "Basic" print driver included in the Windows XP operating system is being installed. Ignore these dialog boxes and continue.6. Click "Start" , then "Printers and Faxes"Note: You may see the "hp deskjet 640c" in this window. This is the "Basic" print driver included in the Windows XP operating system. Continuing on with these instructions will install the "Enhanced" HP Print Driver. 7. Click "Add a Printer" under printer tasks8. Click "Next". Ignore the message about "Plug and Play"9. Uncheck the box next to "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer".10. Click "Next" 11. Next to "Use the following port:" Select the USB Port in the dropdown menu. This is usually "USB001"12. Click "Have Disk"13. Click "Browse" and go to the folder, "c:\dj640\2kxpinf\enu\drivers\win2k_xp". A file named hpf640k.INF will be displayed. Select the file name and Click "Open".14. Click "OK" to continue.15. Click "Next"16. If you would like to use this printer as your default printer, verify "Yes" is selected and Click "Next".17. Select "Yes" or "No" to print a test page and Click "Next". Note: If you choose to print a test page, it will print after the printer has finished installing. Click "Finish" to complete the installation process. The "hp deskjet 640c series" printer will be added to the "Printers and Faxes" Window. Note: There may be another printer driver labeled "hp deskjet 640c" present in the "Printers and Faxes" window. This is the "Basic" print driver included in the Windows XP operating system. It is typically installed automatically. After following these instructions I got an additional 640C. I deinstalled the original and left only the most recent. It worked very well with Acrobat and graphics/heavy detailled documents.Cheers,Scrap!

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 640c on a vista laptop and using USB.

I tried the instructions per djusb.txt but in this case the printer doesn't even get started with any printing. And interestingly nothing shows up in the printer queue either.

Ask a Question