Deployment problem

Linda

I followed the instructions of the cf.net deployment
article
http://smartdevices.microsoftdev.com/Learn/Articles/566.asp
x and created a .msi file. After I installed the program
in the pocket pc, I found there is some problem, so I
remove the program using the WinCE Application Manager.
Then I created a new version of the .msi file, and try to
deploy to the pocket pc again. But the .msi program
always prompt me with the following error "Another version
of this product is already installed. Installation of this
version cannot continue. To configure or remove the
existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs
on the Control Panel.", but I can't find any related
program in Control Panel to remove. Could anyone can
provide some hints for me to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

John Atkins

I'm no expert at this but the following may help.

I don't know why there is no entry for your program in the Add/Remove
programs list. Make sure you've looked for generic sounding test application
names in case the installation used a default name.

When you ran your msi file it should have requested an installation folder
on your desktop PC. The default is \Program Files\MyAppName. Where
MyAppName is your applcation's exe name. If you cannot remove your app in
Add/Remove, try deleting this folder and its contents.

In future when you want to remove your installed app, run the ORIGINAL msi
file again on the desktop PC. This should give you the option to repair or
remove the application. If you create a new msi before running the old one
to remove the last installation, it will give you the message you're seeing.

John.

Linda

I deleted the installation folder and the contents
inside. But the same error still prompt when I deploy a
new version. Any idea?

John Atkins

Sorry, that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject!

You could try searching the registry of the PC for something relevent or
hope somebody else has a suggestion.

John.

Brian Chamberlain [MS]

Linda,

Could you try changing the "ProductName" and "ProductCode" properties of
the Setup Project (MSI Project) that you created? With a different product
name and code, the Windows MSI logic should let you install the new copy.