Deploying SP 4 through Group Policy

MikeS

Heres one that I cant figure out. Im trying to deploy
Win2k Sp4 to my Win2k Pro desktops. Im doing this by
using a computer based group policy to deploy the
update.msi package through Active Directory. This is
assigned to an OU that contains all my domain Win2k
workstations. The service pack is unpacked, and located
in a share on a patching server, that has Full control to
the domain computers group.

The problem is, the clients are receiving the assignment
from AD to install the update.msi package, but it doesn't
ever install. The clients receive the following error.
"Event ID 102:
The install of application windows 2000 Servicp Pack 4
from Policy "x" failed. The installation source for this
product is not available. Verify that the source exists
and that you can access it."

The location is good, because this share holds sp1 for XP
clients, and the GPO deployment to these clients was
successfull. Any help would be appreciated.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

I understand that you are trying to deploy SP4 for Windows 2000 using group
policy. The service pack is placed in a shared folder with full control for
Domain computers group.

I checked for the error message. The most common reason for the Event ID
102 is permission issue. Please find the related article.

Packages Assigned to Computers with Group Policy Are Not Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];278472

Please assign full control to a single computer account in addition to
domain computers and check if the service pack is applied successfully.

Do let us know the result.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| From: "MikeS" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "MikeS" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Deploying SP 4 through Group Policy
| Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:37:29 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Heres one that I cant figure out. Im trying to deploy
| Win2k Sp4 to my Win2k Pro desktops. Im doing this by
| using a computer based group policy to deploy the
| update.msi package through Active Directory. This is
| assigned to an OU that contains all my domain Win2k
| workstations. The service pack is unpacked, and located
| in a share on a patching server, that has Full control to
| the domain computers group.
|
| The problem is, the clients are receiving the assignment
| from AD to install the update.msi package, but it doesn't
| ever install. The clients receive the following error.
| "Event ID 102:
| The install of application windows 2000 Servicp Pack 4
| from Policy "x" failed. The installation source for this
| product is not available. Verify that the source exists
| and that you can access it."
|
| The location is good, because this share holds sp1 for XP
| clients, and the GPO deployment to these clients was
| successfull. Any help would be appreciated.

I added my specific test computer account to the share and
folder permissions as full control, and the package still
did not install.

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

Mike,

Let's take this one step - by - step.

Let's start with the basics ( I am sure that you have tried all of this
already but let's go with this for a second ).

What happens if you log on to a particular WIN2000 system with a user
account that is a member of the Domain Admins group ( and thus a member of
the computer's local Administrators group ) and then navigate to the
update.msi file and double-click on it? Does it install completely? If it
does not, then there is either a problem with the file or there is some
networking issue going on. Can you copy the entire folder structure down to
the local PC and successfully run it then? If not, then I would suggest
that you replace that extracted version of SP4 and try with the new one.

Are you seeing any event ids on the computer accounts that indicate failure
of this deployment? Have you used any TS tools, like gpotools? If you
have, what is it telling you?

Let's assume that we have verified that you current SP4 extraction is not
corrupted and that there are no networking issues. How did you share the
folder that holds the directory structure for SP4? What Share and what NTFS
permissions have you applied? For a Service Pack I typically use
'Administrators' @ F/C and 'Domain Computers' @ Read. This has worked each
and every time I have done it. No need for any users to have any sort of
access to this directory.

So, that is hopefully clear. Now, all of the computer account objects that
you want to be affected by this GPO have been placed in an OU ( or a
sub-OU ). You are creating this GPO from scratch or are you linking an
existing GPO to this OU? If you are creating it from scratch, I an sure
that you are applying this to the computer configuration side of things ( I
know that you know this;-) ). Also, when you are telling AD about the
location of update.msi I am sure that you are using the UNC method and not a
mapped network drive. So, in the box you would have something like
\\servername\sharename\update.msi and not something like
S:\servername\sharename\somefolder\someotherfolder\update.msi. The mapped
network drive will never work.

Have you given everything about 15 minutes after creation of the GPO to
settle? Did you reboot several systems? What happened if you did? If
nothing happened then I would suggest that you reboot again. I have seen it
where nothing happens on the first reboot and if you give it a couple of
minutes more and then reboot you have your deployment of SP4.

And, finally, are all of your WIN2000 systems pointing to the correct
I*N*T*E*R*N*A*L DNS Server in their TCP/IP Configuration settings? Your
ISP's DNS Server information should be found in one place and one place
only - in the Forwarder's tab in your DNS MMC. But I am sure that you know
this as well!

HTH,

Cary

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hi,

I apologize for the delay. I understand that after you assigned the full
control permission to test computer, the service pack installation was
unsuccessful.

Please find the related KB article that describes the cause and solution to
the issue.
Successive Attempts to Complete a Group Policy Installation of a Service
Pack May Log an Event ID 102 Error
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q815438

I hope the steps mentioned in article resolves your issue.

Thank you,

Rashmi