Deploying .NET CF to Pocket PCs

Neville Lang

Hi all ,

I have an app that will be deployed publicly, to any type of PPC. Currently,
my thinking is to download the .NET cab as well as my app's cab from a CD to
the device using ActiveSync. and get the user to tap on the cab's to begin
install. While I know this works well for my app, my questions in relation
to the .NET CF are:

i) For the case of PPC 2002, if the user taps on this cab, what happens if
the .NET CF is already loaded?
ii) For the case of the later WM 2003, it is assumed that the .NET CF is
pre-installed. What might happen to the CF cab when it is tapped by the
user.

I am assuming that some sort of version checking is done but needed to put
these questions to see what others have found.

Regards,
Neville Lang

Bardak

See inline below...

--------------------
From: "Neville Lang" <[email protected]>
Subject: Deploying .NET CF to Pocket PCs
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:36:11 +1000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

Hi all ,

I have an app that will be deployed publicly, to any type of PPC. Currently,
my thinking is to download the .NET cab as well as my app's cab from a CD to
the device using ActiveSync. and get the user to tap on the cab's to begin
install. While I know this works well for my app, my questions in relation
to the .NET CF are:

i) For the case of PPC 2002, if the user taps on this cab, what happens if
the .NET CF is already loaded?

If the SAME files (including versions) are on the device, they are not
replaced. if .NET CF CAB is of newer version (like SP1) it will supercede
the current files and be installed into RAM.
ii) For the case of the later WM 2003, it is assumed that the .NET CF is
pre-installed. What might happen to the CF cab when it is tapped by the
user.
Same answer above is good also here.

Asheesh

Hi Neville,

You can take a look at e-PocketSetup setup tool at www.e-pocketsetup.com

This tool not only allows .NET CF to be installed with your application, but
also allows to check the device's registry in order to determine, which
version of .NET CF is installed.

Though in order to check which version of .NET CF is installed,
the key value for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETCompactFramework
would give you the version number.

HTH,
Asheesh

Neville Lang

Bardak,

Thank you for your reply and for confirming my thoughts.

Regards,
Neville Lang

Neville Lang

Asheesh,

Thank you for putting me onto this link and for information on the registry
entry.

Regards,
Neville Lang