Dell D600 notebook & WINPE on RIS.

Vanyuan

Halo All.

Is there anyone who has managed to get a winpe image on RIS to work
with a Dell D600 notebook? What happens is the notebook receives an IP
and successfuly boots through the dos portion of RIS. But when I
select the WINPE image, the screen goes black, and nothing happens.

Has anyone managed to get this to work?

If so, please share with me, either by email, or replying here.

Many Thanks.

Derek.

Woody Guo [MSFT]

Hello Derek,

Thanks for using the Microsoft Newsgroups. My name is Woody.

I saw this issue on a Dell 1650. The computer would go to a black screen
and hang after attempting to load WinPE via RIS.

To resolve the issue, you may want to contact Dell to get a firmware
revision update and try to install it again.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns or
questions regarding the issue. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Woody Guo
Microsoft Online Support Engineer
Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Vanyuan)
| Subject: Dell D600 notebook & WINPE on RIS.
| Date: 12 Jan 2004 20:54:40 -0800
|
| Halo All.
|
| Is there anyone who has managed to get a winpe image on RIS to work
| with a Dell D600 notebook? What happens is the notebook receives an IP
| and successfuly boots through the dos portion of RIS. But when I
| select the WINPE image, the screen goes black, and nothing happens.
|
| Has anyone managed to get this to work?
|
| If so, please share with me, either by email, or replying here.
|
| Many Thanks.
|
| Derek.

Vanyuan

Thanks for replying Woody.

It worked! :)

Many Thanks.

I would also like to mention to people out there that they musnt
forget to change the Image type in the sif file for the WINPE image on
the RIS server to "WINPE"

This will cause it to NOT create a computer account in AD everytime
someone boots from it.

Bye now.

Derek

Woody Guo [MSFT]

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your response.

I also want to thank you for your useful information.

With the additional option available for Windows Server 2003, we can use
the entry below in the *.sif file:

[OsChooser]
Imagetype =WinPE

that allows WinPE to be booted over Windows 2003 RIS without creating a
machine account object.

If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to post in the
newsgroup. We'll be here for you.