Deleting and the recycle bin

Jon

If I delete a file from my PC, as expected it goes in the recycle bin.

If I delete a file using my PC which is stored on another PC networked to my PC, it doesn't go in my
recycle bin or (as far as I can see) the recycle bin of the networked PC.

Is there a way to set up the recycle bin on either PC so that these deletions do go in one of the
recycle bins?

Malke

Jon said:
If I delete a file from my PC, as expected it goes in the recycle bin.

If I delete a file using my PC which is stored on another PC networked to
my PC, it doesn't go in my recycle bin or (as far as I can see) the
recycle bin of the networked PC.

Is there a way to set up the recycle bin on either PC so that these
deletions do go in one of the recycle bins?

No. That's the way it works over a network. This is why it is a very good
idea to not delete files over the network unless you are very, very sure
what you are doing. This is also why when you transfer files across a
network you don't want to Move; you want to Copy and then delete the source
file if so inclined. Without taking care, you'll be looking for data
recovery software one day.

Malke

John John (MVP)

Jon said:
If I delete a file from my PC, as expected it goes in the recycle bin.

If I delete a file using my PC which is stored on another PC networked to my PC, it doesn't go in my
recycle bin or (as far as I can see) the recycle bin of the networked PC.

Is there a way to set up the recycle bin on either PC so that these deletions do go in one of the
recycle bins?

No, files deleted on network drives completely bypass the Recycle Bin
and there is no way to natively change that.

John

Jon

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Jon