Deleting a Footnote

ub

In my document, I have footnotes.
I am trying to delete a footnote. So I go in the doument and delete a
footnote. Footnote is deleted from the doument, but it stays in the footnote
window.
Ex : if I have deleted footnote number#11. the footnote window still shows
the footnote and now when I try to put another foot note in the same place i
deleted the footnote, the new footnote gets numbererd #11 and the old
footnote that should have been deleted gets new number12.
Can you please advise how to correct this problem.

Peter A

In my document, I have footnotes.
I am trying to delete a footnote. So I go in the doument and delete a
footnote. Footnote is deleted from the doument, but it stays in the footnote
window.
Ex : if I have deleted footnote number#11. the footnote window still shows
the footnote and now when I try to put another foot note in the same place i
deleted the footnote, the new footnote gets numbererd #11 and the old
footnote that should have been deleted gets new number12.
Can you please advise how to correct this problem.

I believe this is a Word bug - that a footnote, once created, is
immortal even if deleted and empty. Just ignore it - AFAIK it does no
harm.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

If you are tracking changes, the footnote will not be permanently deleted
until you have accepted all the changes.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

No, this does not ordinarily happen provided you delete the footnote
properly, by deleting the reference mark in the body of the document, which
it seems the OP has done.

grammatim

Worse, if you _move_ a footnote while tracking changes, it insists on
keeping the numbering of the "deleted" copy _and_ a new number for the
"inserted" copy.

Peter A

Subject: Re: Deleting a Footnote
From: Suzanne S. Barnhill <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, this does not ordinarily happen provided you delete the footnote
properly, by deleting the reference mark in the body of the document, which
it seems the OP has done.

Thanks for this info.