    all those folders?

    tia
    las

    Laurel, Sep 1, 2009

  2. Laurel

    LVTravel Guest

    "Laurel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > This folder contains lots of folders with hex number names. Can I delete
    > all those folders?
    >
    > tia
    > las

    Not a good idea. These folders are the storage place to enable Windows to
    revert to a previous installation scenario if you uninstall a program that
    has been customer installed. With the uninstall data missing you keep
    unlinked entries in the registry, the uninstall program doesn't totally
    uninstall parts of programs or totally fails. Add-Remove Programs in
    Control panel uses these files extensively to properly uninstall programs.

    LVTravel, Sep 1, 2009

  3. If you do you might not be able to properly uninstall some of the
    programs that were installed by Installshield. To find out which ones
    search the registry's
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    key for "InstallShield Installation Information". You will not be able
    to uninstall those with uninstall strings or log files in the
    Installshield folder if you remove the folders.

    John

    John John - MVP, Sep 1, 2009
  4. Laurel

    Jose Guest

    Re: Delete files in c:\programfiles\installshield installationinformation\?

    On Sep 1, 11:50 am, "Laurel" <> wrote:
    > This folder contains lots of folders with hex number names.  Can I delete
    > all those folders?
    >
    > tia
    > las

    The answer to your question is - yes you can delete them.

    Should you delete them? That is up to you, but first you should know
    what they are for.

    They are created when a third party program uses the InstallShield
    installation package to install itself. Popular.

    If you ever want to uninstall those programs from Add/Remove programs
    (browse the folders to figure out which programs), Windows will start
    to look there for the preferred uninstallaton method.

    If the folder with the uninstall method is not found it, you will have
    to create your own method to uninstall.

    Jose, Sep 1, 2009