Delayed Boot up time for ASUS P4R800-VM

Arsalan

Hello all,

I have a problem with ASUS P4R800-VM motherboard. The boot up time is
noticeably long. In the BIOS, I have enabled the option of Quick Boot
but still, it takes like 2 - 2.5 minutes to boot up my computer. I
have 512 MB RAM and hard disk is almost empty (no application is
installed yet). During the boot up procedure, when BIOS starts
identifying the IDEs, that is where it gets delayed and then it tries
to identify "USB Mass Storage Devices" and says none found. I never
have any USB devices attached during boot up. I have only an internal
Hard Disk, a floppy disk drive and an internal DVD Writer attached to
the motherboard.
Any ideas how I can solve this issue?
Thanks for your repsonses!

Arsalan

Bledge

I have a problem with ASUS P4R800-VM motherboard. The boot up time is
noticeably long. In the BIOS, I have enabled the option of Quick Boot
but still, it takes like 2 - 2.5 minutes to boot up my computer. I
have 512 MB RAM and hard disk is almost empty (no application is
installed yet). During the boot up procedure, when BIOS starts
identifying the IDEs, that is where it gets delayed and then it tries
to identify "USB Mass Storage Devices" and says none found. I never
have any USB devices attached during boot up. I have only an internal
Hard Disk, a floppy disk drive and an internal DVD Writer attached to
the motherboard.
Any ideas how I can solve this issue?
Thanks for your repsonses!

I have setup a P4R800-VM rev. 1.03 with 512MB, hard disk, cdrom,
CDRW drive and do not have this slow boot up problem
with the original BIOS and latest BIOS v1002
BIOS 1002 dated 18dec2003 from Asus website.
I am using DDR400 256MB x2 in dual channel mode.(blue slots)
BIOS setup for Plug and Play OS = no

I do have a problem with the P4R800-VM USB2.0 hardware
showing as unknown USB device. The Asus CD and
Win XP Pro + SP1 do not seem to have the correct drivers
to setup USB2.0.
The lastest BIOS 1002 did not solve the problem.
I think Asus need to update the drivers
for USB2.0 for the P4R800-VM
Searching the Asus website/FAQs did not help.

The Standard USB drivers( USB1.1 ) are working.

If you have got USB2.0 working properly in win XP Pro
please post here. Thanks.

I have just downloaded ATi's Catalyst 3.10 drivers;
GART, Display,LAN and SMBus drivers for
WinXP/2k from www.atitech.com.
Will try them out to see if they can solve the problem.

/bledge 30 Dec 2003

Ric

Bledge said:
I do have a problem with the P4R800-VM USB2.0 hardware
showing as unknown USB device. The Asus CD and
Win XP Pro + SP1 do not seem to have the correct drivers
to setup USB2.0.
The lastest BIOS 1002 did not solve the problem.
I think Asus need to update the drivers
for USB2.0 for the P4R800-VM
Searching the Asus website/FAQs did not help.

The Standard USB drivers( USB1.1 ) are working.

If you have got USB2.0 working properly in win XP Pro
please post here. Thanks.

I have just downloaded ATi's Catalyst 3.10 drivers;
GART, Display,LAN and SMBus drivers for
WinXP/2k from www.atitech.com.
Will try them out to see if they can solve the problem.

/bledge 30 Dec 2003

I have the same board, am seeing the same USB warning.
I also have no lan device. Error code 10 -- Device did not stat.
My system is minimal, no other devices - cpu (HT), memory 1 512m stick,
hd, and DVD, kb, mouse is on a usb port. USB memory stick - which does
function.

I updated to the most recent BIOS, which shows in the BIOS as
AMIBIOS 08.00.09 date: 12/16/03
P4R800-VM BIOS V1002

My LAN drivers are from 07/30/03
the ones on the mainboard CD were from 07/29/03.

Certain selections in the BIOS cause my system to not POST. I have to
'flush' the bios to start over. ie Move the jumper to clear all settings.
While not a comprehensive test, these are the settings I found with issues
- Disable on board lan
- Disable AC97 (sound)
- Disable Floppy device (I really do not want a floppy in this system)
- dram CAS select to Fast (default is Slow)
- Plug n Play OS to yes (which XP is, so silly that this needs to be no )

Please post the results of you update to the ATI software.
TIA

Ric

Ric said:
I have the same board, am seeing the same USB warning. I also have no
lan device.

I installed the latest drivers from ATI and no go. So I called the
vendor to RMA the board. None in stock, try him on Tuesday.

So, for grins and to have a useful system over the holiday -
I dropped in an Intel Pro-100 nic.
- no messages, installs, nothing - but now I get pop-ups indicating I
am connected to the internet, stay up to date with Microsoft etc....

Device manager now shows the 3Com nic as functional.
hmmmmm....

Restart, with lan cable in the 3Com - no network, back to the same code
10 error.

Restart with lan cable back to the Intel. After I have verified
network, move the cable over to 3Com nic, and disable the Intel, no
boot. I have fully functioning network thru the 3Com port.

I have not rebooted since then.

Steve

[...]

Hello,
I'm also having issues with slow boot up time. Takes about 1:45 until
it gets into the first Windows XP initial screen. I've not gotten any
closer and I've unplugged everything right down to the hard drive to
see if it's a power issue but it doesn't appear to be.

Also I did have the problem with the USB devices but for me it was
simply removing the devices from the device manager and then on the
next reboot they were detected properly and all is well.

If you have any solutions on the boot up problem that would be great.
Thanks.

Navid

Steve said:
(e-mail address removed) (Bledge) wrote in message

Hello,
I'm also having issues with slow boot up time. Takes about 1:45 until
it gets into the first Windows XP initial screen. I've not gotten any
closer and I've unplugged everything right down to the hard drive to
see if it's a power issue but it doesn't appear to be.

Also I did have the problem with the USB devices but for me it was
simply removing the devices from the device manager and then on the
next reboot they were detected properly and all is well.

If you have any solutions on the boot up problem that would be great.
Thanks.

I had this problem on P4P800 deluxe. It turned out to be the low RPM
fans I had connected to the motherboard. I connected the fans directly
to the power supply and the boot time reduced back to normal.
Just another thing to check.