Defragment error

Susan

When I run Disk Defragmenter analysis on one of our server
partitions I get the following message:
"Volume APPS (D:) has 41% free space, but only 0% is
available for use by Disk Defragmenter.
To run effectively, Disk Defragmenter requires at least
10% usable space. Before running Disk Degframenter, you
should delete some files or move files to another disk or
storage device to increase usable free space."

We are running Windows 2000 Server SP4 with a raid 5
setup. We have three partitions - one for the system, one
for applications and one for data. The partition that is
giving us trouble is the applications partitions.

If there is 41% free space why am I getting this message.
Also, why does the analysis show the free space as system
files?? How can I correct this problem, so that I can
degfragment this partition?

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

You are getting this error because of the fragmentation of the drive.
There is not enough contiguous free space on the drive for the defragmenter
to run.
Joe Griffin[MS]