Default "Program Files"

In Vista x64 there are two "Program Files" folders.

One for (x86) programs, and the other for everything else.

This makes my whole process of finding files a whole lot more confusing.

I would like specify the regular "Program Files" (not "Program files (x86))
as my default installation directory for both x86 and x64 software.

I would also lick to LOCK the other Program Files so nothing can be sent to
it.

How can I do this?

Robert Wolfe

Keep in mind the (x86) folder was put there in the 64-bit version of XP as
well to keep 32-bit programs and 64-bit program separated as some 32-bit
programs ma contain the same files of the same name as 64-bit programs.
Then again, this is just my $.02 worth on this.

I understand. However, x86 programs will run just fine in the standard
regular Program Files folder. I do know, however, that a few preinstalled
Microsoft x86 items must be left in the folder.

That is why I have not decided to eliminate the folder altogether, but lock
it, so nothing else can be installed in it.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The problem is bigger than that though.
WOW64 or the the 32-bit thunking layer redirects calls to \program files
(X86) folder.
Problem 1) In addition to the installed Windows Applications that reside in
\program files (x86) there are also pointers to common files. These are
exposed functionality that exist in the platform and are available for
multiple applications. 32-bikt applications such as Office install files
(functionality) there that other applications may call and attempt to use.
Those will not be available any longer, plus if those 32-bit applications
are forced into \Program Files the common files may now be 32-bit may crash
or generate error message when called from 64-bit programs
Problem 2) If you lock down \Program Files (X86), you prevent servicing
those files with any updates or service packs. This will probably crash or
prevent the installation of any updates that attempt to touch those files.
Problem 3) Even though you install the 32-bit Applications into \program
files, you still could have issues with the WOW64 layer. Since the WOW64
layer thunks the calls to \program files(x86), there may be cases where the
call is still redirected to the wrong location.

This isn't as simple as just locking down the folder. This will cause any
number of issues and unforseen problems that will affect the system in
negative ways. I would not recommend attempting this.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]