DDS4 the device reported an error on request to write data to media

M

Matt Darcy

Hi,

First I'll state my hardware and Software configuration.
Windows 2000 Pro Workstation
Fully Service packed/patched up
Ntbackup (built in application)

Hardware
Inetel Pentium 4
Tekram DC-395 WU SCSI Card (latest BIOS) using Latest Tekram Drivers
Compaq/HP DDS4 SCSI Tape Drive Using Microsoft Driver 5.0.2195.6717 (I have tried this with the HP driver too)

The problem.

I attempt to backup a partition on my workstation. The size is approx 15 gig of data.
I start the backup and it starts to run. I get approx 15 to 40 minutes into the backup and get the following error
the device reported an error on request to write data to media Error reported hardware failure

All the device stats check out, I have cleaned the tape drive, tried different tapes, turned on / off hardware compression tried a DDS3 tape.

I am not sure what to try next, no devices report errors. The drivers are all up to date. I have tried other drivers, I am not using 3rd party backups software.

Has anyone seen this, know how to fix it, or have any suggestions on debugging it ?

Thanks,

Matt.

D

David Bullock [MSFT]

Hi Matt,
This could be occurring due to either of the following (my bet's on the latter):

1 - Invalid drive path syntax - see:
240392.KB.EN-US Err Msg: The Device Reported an Error on a Request to Write Data to Media
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;240392

2 - SCSI controller faulty, or controller driver needs to be reinstalled or updated; the controller could be timing out. We've had several cases in which the controller driver was timing out, resulting in exactly the same error that you're seeing; updating the SCSI controller driver fixed almost all of these. If that doesn't do it, try replacing the controller to which the tape drive is connected.

- David Bullock (MS)
Hi,

First I'll state my hardware and Software configuration.
Windows 2000 Pro Workstation
Fully Service packed/patched up
Ntbackup (built in application)

Hardware
Inetel Pentium 4
Tekram DC-395 WU SCSI Card (latest BIOS) using Latest Tekram Drivers
Compaq/HP DDS4 SCSI Tape Drive Using Microsoft Driver 5.0.2195.6717 (I have tried this with the HP driver too)

The problem.

I attempt to backup a partition on my workstation. The size is approx 15 gig of data.
I start the backup and it starts to run. I get approx 15 to 40 minutes into the backup and get the following error
the device reported an error on request to write data to media Error reported hardware failure

All the device stats check out, I have cleaned the tape drive, tried different tapes, turned on / off hardware compression tried a DDS3 tape.

I am not sure what to try next, no devices report errors. The drivers are all up to date. I have tried other drivers, I am not using 3rd party backups software.

Has anyone seen this, know how to fix it, or have any suggestions on debugging it ?

Thanks,

Matt.

Ask a Question