DDR memory generic vs. high quality

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
wouldnt touch generic memory with a 10 foot barge pole. Yeah you may save a few quid but you have no peace of mind and have no idea when it will just go "kapoot" on ya. Generic memory can be very tempramental and just decide not to work one day.

From the experience that ive had with genric memory it put me off for life!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
So even though there is almost no advantage of having high priced memory, there is one thing expensive memory has, peace of mind? makes sense.... assuming you can afford it:p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I feel sometimes I'm flogging a dead horse ... I don't really care who 'makes the modules', what concerns me is who makes the 'memory chips' themselves.

We have fairly standard DDR-400 modules from Samsung and Crucial, along with enthusiast level modules like ...

Oh come on ... Samsung make some of the best memory around, and if you buy Crucial your in safe hands.

Rip off those silly heat-spreaders and tell me what 'chip' are you using?
:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
So crucial memory is just as good as kingson Hyper X?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
im not saying that the expensive ram isnt worth it but if you only want some reasonable ram some cheap stuff like samsung or in my case Vdata will do but if your going to be using crazy timings and high FSB's then investing £200 in some high speed ram doesn't seem like such a bad idea if you can afford it

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That article is the truth.

I recently read an article in Custom PC Magazine where they compared around thirty types of memory and the results were really quite an eye-opener. Some makes of generic RAM are just as good, and often better, than their more expensive peers.

Having said that, in short, generic RAM cannot be trusted, unless you know what you're buying and what chips have been used during the manufacture process.

Expensive RAM, such as Kingston and Corsair, is better for overclocking, but you will pay a premium for it.

If you're not overclocking and running stock, read articles such as the one linked to here and make an informed choice, you could save yourself a lot of money.

Even 'standard' RAM will overclock a little, I regularly run Crucial and Corsair Value Select at 220 FSB and higher.

Crucial can be trusted.

DON'T EVER buy Generic RAM unless you've checked out a few reviews, there is some truly awful stuff out there.

And finally - good luck in your choice :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It depends what one is after, I am for reliability and the reason I do not mind paying a little more to get a good brand is I have peace of mind. In my opinion good brands most certainly have reliability and consistancy. Odd generic ram sticks may be faster but is it to be relied on? I wonder!

When I bought the 3.3 MP Nikon long time ago my friend got a 5 MP chinese camera, he thought it was a very good deal at less than half the price of Nikon. Today his camera cannot even give correct colors whereas my trusty Nikon takes pictures as if it was brand new. Just one exmple I quote and there are many like this, but in the end I certainly want peace of mind and if that can be had with some extra dough,IMHO why not?:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is ...

Micron make some of the best 'memory chips' on the market ... Crucial are a devison of Micron.

So, some of your so called 'generic' ram is actually quality made.

:p

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
So do you think its better a better "deal' to get crucial memory, instead of paying more for OCZ, Corsair or Kingston hyper X?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Alf said:
So do you think its better a better "deal' to get crucial memory, instead of paying more for OCZ, Corsair or Kingston hyper X?

I don't buy memory unles I know the 'chip' manufaturer.

;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Micron make some of the best 'memory chips' on the market ... Crucial are a devison of Micron.
So, some of your so called 'generic' ram is actually quality made.
:p

So you could say that Crucial is along the same lines as expensive memory?

Reaction score
I sense the lid being ripped off a can of worms here :) I dont mind buying "generic" RAM for a computer thats meant to do computer-y stuff but I choose to pay a bit extra for the guarantee of higher FSB for an overclocked computer. The ability to see the sticks before purchase and look at the chips helps with cheaper memory. PLus, most of the big names offer lifetime warranties or something to protect their name.

Reaction score
would i be right in saying that if u where to build a REALY high-end pc it would be worth paying the extra and getting the better stuf or would u still be alright stuffin the cheap crap in!
it dont make any sense at all......

go and spend silly amounts of money on graphics, processors, motherboards etc etc. then buy the cheapest "generic" ram from a well know chipmaker.....?????

it all comes back to chipmakers sales departments trying to make money out of us! "lets call it the DoubleDeluXL4200 and charge an extra tenner for it"
*TWO WEEKS LATER*
"lets call it the DoubleDeluXL PRO 4200 and charge another tenner"
robing....b...a.... ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well in that "Test" on the link they say there using some generic ram, but they're calling the samsung sticks generic :s . Samsung is probably the best memory make out there for goodness sake! its not generic, so that testings aloada tosh.

I thought they were going to use some real unknown rubbish :\.

Decent ram doesnt have to be expensive, you can get some good quality crucial or corsair value memory at good prices, of course theres a little performance difference difference from some £300 memory compared to some £100 memory, but your talking about 10fps max in games. so i wouldnt go all out on memory, unless your into seriously overclocking.

Reaction score
I`ve got PC4400 so I`m guaranteed to get a high FSB... memory bandwidth=good. Always. And it was on ebay for a bargaintastic price... there IS a liimit, I wont spend £200 on memory.
Normal/ generic/whatever RAM sells for maybe £50 max for 512MB. Thats a good benchmark. I ABSOLUTELY refuse to pay £100 for 512 of memory. Not worth it.

One exception: some mug buys my memory for way more than what I paid for it, then I`d spent £200 on replacements coz its a small extra outlay :-D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
does any one own any 1GB memory sticks? (not 2x512) is there any speed differnce in having one?

Ask a Question