Dcpromo demotion failed

harold

We have a server the last DC and we tried to do a dcpromo
to demote it. It is a child domain but the parent does
not exist. (i didn't do it). I am unable to demote it. I
want to just remove AD and all DC info and make it a
member server. Please help

Herb Martin

Service pack 3 or 4 adds the "forceremoval" switch to DC program.
Upgrade if necessary and use that.

David Pharr [MSFT]

It's included in SP4, but you can also have SP2 or later with the hotfix
outlined in the following article to perform a forceful demotion:

332199 Using the DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL Command to Force the Demotion of
Active
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=332199

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: "Herb Martin" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Dcpromo demotion failed
| Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:06:28 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Service pack 3 or 4 adds the "forceremoval" switch to DC program.
| Upgrade if necessary and use that.
|

| --
| Herb Martin
| | > We have a server the last DC and we tried to do a dcpromo
| > to demote it. It is a child domain but the parent does
| > not exist. (i didn't do it). I am unable to demote it. I
| > want to just remove AD and all DC info and make it a
| > member server. Please help

Herb Martin

Thanks, I was confused about it appearing in a Hotfix but always being
available
by SP4.