DCOMLaunch causes long shutdown times

never-aways

I recently installed uphclean.exe to discover what was causing
shutdowns to take upto 2 minutes.
I narrowed it down to the DCOMLauncher service.
After removing uphclean i disabled DCOMLaunch, rebooted (you can't
stop/start it dynamically) and windows could shutdown in a matter of
seconds. Boot with DCOMLaunch enabled and again it took minutes.

Has anybody got any idea's for how i could narrow down this problem
further so that i can have the service running without the long
shutdown times?

Thanks.

Gerry Cornell

Check Event Viewer for error reports in the System section and post
details.

Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can
make it harder to search for information about the error message.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event
ID, Source
and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the
error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a button
resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make
sure this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

never-aways

[...]

Sigh. Don't you think i would have had to use event viewer to read the
results of uphclean? And there aren't any further related errors
other than what uphclean uncovered.

Carsyn Gu [MSFT]

Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

DCOMLaunch is the service "DCOM Server Process Launcher".

It is a service which provides further DOM features. If you do not have
DCOM components running on this Windows XP machine, you can disable this
service and it will not cause problems. (Configure this service as Disabled
in the Service MMC console).

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support