DCOM ERROR 10006 - HELP PLEASE!!!

G

We've started getting error events on our backup server (running veritas version 8.6 & win2000 server) DCOM got error "%2147746132" from the computer when attempting to activate the server. I believe i can stop these errors by installing certificate services on the relevant server but if i do what are the implications of doing this? Are there any other options

G

Gary Fose [MSFT]

1) From the description field in Event ID 10006, look for the GUID of the class responsible for
the error and make a note of it or copy it (Ctrl+C) to the clipboard.

2) Launch REGEDIT.EXE and search the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID registry container
for the GUID found in step one above.

3) Determine the dll responsible for registering this class object by double-clicking the GUID,
and then clicking once on the InprocServer32 folder to reveal the dll name. The dll name can
be found on the right hand pane.

4) Using the following command, re-register the class object

REGSVR32.EXE <dll_name.dll>

As a side note, there are a lot of issues with the 8.6 version. You may want to contact veritas
for updates.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'Thread-Topic: DCOM ERROR 10006 - HELP PLEASE!!!
'--'thread-index: AcP0cExMuw5F/tNkTIC+YK02LBDWGw==
'--'X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?Z3JheQ==?=" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: DCOM ERROR 10006 - HELP PLEASE!!!
'--'Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:36:05 -0800
'--'Lines: 2
'--'Message-ID: <[email protected]>
'--'MIME-Version: 1.0
'--'Content-Type: text/plain;
'--' charset="Utf-8"
'--'Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
'--'X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
'--'Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
'--'Importance: normal
'--'Priority: normal
'--'X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
'--'Path: cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl
'--'Xref: cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server:16977
'--'NNTP-Posting-Host: tk2msftcmty1.phx.gbl 10.40.1.180
'--'X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
'--'
'--'We've started getting error events on our backup server (running veritas version 8.6 &
win2000 server) DCOM got error "%2147746132" from the computer when attempting to
activate the server. I believe i can stop these errors by installing certificate services on the
relevant server but if i do what are the implications of doing this? Are there any other options

'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

G

thanks for that but i'm afraid it didn't work. I followed your instructions on one of the target servers as opposed to the actual back up server, is this why? also i could not match the guid in the event log exactly with the one in regedit (one of the digits was different?), the file under it seemed be the right one so i carried on?

Ask a Question