Daylight Savings, XP with SP1

Richard Fangnail

I have XP with SP1 because I'm afraid to install SP2. The only DST
patches appear to be for SP2. Microsoft's site said you have to
upgrade from SP1 to SP2 to get a DST patch.

I can't imagine that something so terrible will happen because of the
DST change, if I don't install a patch. What do you think?

Richard Fangnail

P.S. I'm not on a network and I only use browsers, Word and some other
simple things, and I've found some pages that suggest that the only
problem I will have without a patch is that I will have to update the
clock manually, and of course anyone can do that.

I've already turned off the checkbox that says to adjust the clock
automatically on DST day.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Soon you won't get any updates if you don't install SP2. It doesn't bite
and it's definitely worth the extra security you'll get.

Other alternatives..... upgrade to Vista which is already adjusted for the
new DST... or move to Arizona which doesn't do DST.

Why are you afraid of installing SP2. Most people have no problems. Back up
your data first, and you should be OK.
MD

Noncompliant

Nothing is going to happen to you, or your PC if you fail to make the time
adjustment for DST time.

Most people go around and change their clocks in their homes on the night
before the time change. There's no reason you can't add your PC to that
list. You don't even have to wait for XP to bootup, it can be done in the
bios setup.

The patch was meant to fix when the DST time adjustment occurs. This can be
critical when you don't want to mass fix many PCs manually. And a nuisance
for those too lazy to make the manual time adjustment on one or two PCs.
The patch can be made manually with registry mods.

As for SP2 installation paranoia, probably overrated. Yes, we've all read
or possibly heard of people having problems with their PCs after installing
SP2. USB, firewire, or printer use seem to top the list. Chances are will
be uneventful.

Elmo

Richard said:
I have XP with SP1 because I'm afraid to install SP2. The only DST
patches appear to be for SP2. Microsoft's site said you have to
upgrade from SP1 to SP2 to get a DST patch.

I can't imagine that something so terrible will happen because of the
DST change, if I don't install a patch. What do you think?

This info was obtained from the MS win98 newsgroup:

If you have the Windows 98 Resource Kit, there is a tool in it named
TZEDIT.EXE, that will do this for you following the below instructions:

(a) Click TZEDIT.EXE.
It opens with your time zone selected.
(b) Click the Edit button.
(c) Change the Start Day to... Second, Sunday, March.
(d) Change the Last Day to... First, Sunday, November.
(e) Click the OK button.
(f) Click the Close button.
(g) Click Start, point to Settings, point to Control Panel,
and then double-click Date/Time.
(h) Click the Time Zone tab.
(i) Select a different time zone than the one you are set at,
and then click Apply.
(j) Change back to your timezone, and then click OK.

"Note Steps i and j are required for the new changes to take effect",
the article says, as does TZEdit's own help screen.

Do so before March 11, 2007. If you cannot get TZEdit.exe from your

You can download the tool from this site. It doesn't mention XP, but
might work anyway:

http://www.softshape.com/cham/manual/tzedit.htm

Also look at these:

"Unofficial" Win2k/NT4 DST patch:
http://www.intelliadmin.com/blog/2007/01/unofficial-windows-2000-daylight.html

"Unofficial" Win98/ME DST Patch:
http://www.intelliadmin.com/downloads.htm

Noncompliant

Referring to Outlook in following (not Outlook Express)
Is the Gregorian calendar going to change as a result of a one hour shift in
time at a different time of year?

Does Outlook get its time reference from the OS?

What exactly is going to break if you're smart enough to know your
appointments will be one hour behind? Nothing.

bcb

As far as I understand it,

this is the download link to the SP1 patch?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0C-DF2D-400B-A8A9-EF9061A9A3CA&displaylang=en

I've run it on a computer with SP1 and it seems to have done the trick.

more info here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836

Any trick to applying this patch to pc's over the network. Anyone have a reg
file they might share?
or does the patch also involve in updating some internal windows files as
well?

Thanks in advance for any help.