Database Results Wizard greyed out

Bob L

I have a website with a small database which I access with some custom .asp
code. A while back I tried accessing the database with the Database Results
Wizard which worked fine. I changed my mind and deleted the query and
associated files manually within FP 2003. Now I'd like to create a new
results query with the Database Results Wizard but the
"Insert>Database>Results" option is greyed out.

Any reason why it's greyed out and thoughts on what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Reimport the database back into your web so it will recreate the associated
files.

Bob L

I deleted my database and re-imported it but the "results" option is still
greyed out.

Bob L

Yes. In FP2003 with the web I'm developing open, I've tried deleting
deleting the Access database and then re-importing it but the
"Insert>Database>Results" is still greyed out on the menu. I really need to
be able to use the Database Results Wizard.

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

When you reimported the database, did FrontPage (re)create the fpdb folder
and put the database there, (re)create the global.asa and prompt you to
specify a database connection name?

Bob L

I'm using the db for logging on users to the website. The logon files are
located in the "logon" folder and I imported the db into the "_private"
folder under "logon". When I imported the db FP2003 assumed it would go in
the fpdb folder but I changed it to the _private folder. It also prompted
me to specify a database connection name which I declined.

The "Insert>Database>Results" menu item is greyed out in other webs as well
as the one I've imported the logon db into. Do you have to have a db
located somewhere in a website before this menu item is available?

Thomas A. Rowe

You should let FP place the database in the fpdb folder which has specific permissions assigned by
FP to protect the database.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Bob L

I looked in the Site Properties for the logon subweb and found that there is
indeed a database connection specified with the logon.db. But the menu item
is still greyed out when I try to start up the results wizard in any page in
both the main web or the logon subweb. I also tried deleting the connection
and then re-establishing it but the option is still greyed out. I just
tried "Detect and Repair" but still no success.

Thanks a lot for tying to help. I really appreciate it.

Bob L

Okay, I just imported another database (test.mdb) into my logon subweb and
let FP2003 add a database connection and create file the fbdb folder but
still greyed out (just like my hair!).

Thomas A. Rowe

When you try the DRW, do you have a web / site open via http in FP?

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, have you gone to Tools | Site Settings | Database and verified the database connection and/or
delete and then recreated it?

Also, is this on you local machine (via http) or on the live/remote server?

When you originally delete the working DRW query and associated files, which files did you actually
delete?

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Bob L

I've gone to the site settings and then deleted and recreated the db
connection. I'm running XP Home so no desktop server. I can't remember for
sure what I deleted but I think I deleted the _fpclass folder, the htm file
where I had created the query and maybe the global.asa file. I do remember
thinking that this might be a stupid thing to do but adding the query seemed
to add several extra files which I thought I could get rid of.

Thomas A. Rowe

Are you doing this directly on the live/remote server in the subweb or locally?

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Bob L

Locally.

Thomas A. Rowe said:
Ok, have you gone to Tools | Site Settings | Database and verified the
database connection and/or delete and then recreated it?

Also, is this on you local machine (via http) or on the live/remote
server?

When you originally delete the working DRW query and associated files,
which files did you actually delete?

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Yes. I have the site where I've imported the db open.

[...]

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Yes. In FP2003 with the web I'm developing open, I've tried
deleting deleting the Access database and then re-importing it
but the "Insert>Database>Results" is still greyed out on the
menu. I really need to be able to use the Database Results
Wizard.

message Do you have a web open?

I have a website with a small database which I access with some
custom .asp code. A while back I tried accessing the database
with the Database Results Wizard which worked fine. I changed
my mind and deleted the query and associated files manually
within FP 2003. Now I'd like to create a new results query with
the Database Results Wizard but the "Insert>Database>Results"
option is greyed out.

Any reason why it's greyed out and thoughts on what I can do to
fix it?

Thanks.

Ronx

Tools->Page Options - Authoring tab
Ensure the "Active Server Pages" checkbox is ticked
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)
FrontPage Support: http://www.frontpagemvps.com/

Bob L said: