DataBase Interface Wizard 2 errors

Thanasis

Hello to everyone,

i have installed Win XP Pro, IIS 5.1, FP 2002 extensions.
1) I'm trying to test the DataBase Interface Wizard. I click File-->New-->
Web Site-->from Template and i choose DataBase Interface Wizard.The DIW
starts and in the connection i select choose database connection sample
(Northwind).I click next and i get error message something like that <<IT
ISN'T POSSIBLE THE CREATION OF DATABASE CONNECTION.CLICK ON BACK BUTTON AND
CHECK YOUR SETTINGS).
2) After the previous step i noticed that FPDB folder has been created and
there is the mdb file fpnwind.
I click Tools-->Web Settings-->DataBase-->Add-->Browse--> and I choose
fpnwind from the fpdb folder.
Then i click VERIFY and i see a GREEN CHECK besides the connection.Then i
click APPLY and i get an error message like that<<FrontPage wasn't possible
to create the parameter file for database connection(global.asa)>>.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Thanasis

Jim Buyens

[...]

This seems like some kind of permissions problem. Either
the account you're using to open the Web site lacks
permission to create files in your Web site's root, or
the account lacks permission to mark the Web site as an
IIS application.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Troubleshooting Microsoft FrontPage 2002
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Thanasis

Hi Jim ,

i quote the 2 error messages:
1) The specified database connection could not be created.
Please click "Back" and check your settings
2)Frontpage was unable to write the configuration file for database
connections(global.asa)

wishes
thanasis

Jim Buyens

Thanasis said:
hi Jim,

how could i fix the problem with permissions?

There are billions (OK, millions) of possible solutions,
depending on the exact problem.

One way is to open your Web with an Administrtor account.
However, in some situations, even that may not work.

You might want to open your root Web, choose Server from the Tools
menu, choose Administration, and run Server Health with all the check
boxes selected.

Another procedure would be to open the problem Web, choose Server from
the Tools menu, choose Permissions, and make sure your user account
has the Administrator role.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Troubleshooting Microsoft FrontPage 2002
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

Thanasis

Dear Jim,
thanks for your respone.
Even following your suggestions the problem still remains.
I get the 2 error messages i described.

Any help would be appreciated
thanasis

Thanasis

Hi Jim,
thanks for your response.
After following your suggestions the problem still remains.
Any more help would be appreciated

thanasis

Jim Buyens

Thanasis said:
Hi Jim,
thanks for your response.
After following your suggestions the problem still remains.
Any more help would be appreciated

I'm close to running out of ideas, but try this:

How to Fix Permissions in an Extended Web Site
http://207.176.130.191/winnt/tips/tipshow.aspx?tip=32

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Troubleshooting Microsoft FrontPage 2002
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)

Thanasis

many thanks