Risk LevelLow
Comment:Manual changing of browser start-page restricted
Description:General Windows Security Issue.Your system security may be
compromised.

D

David Candy

Unable to Change Home Page Setting in Internet Properties

Q195161

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

a.. Microsoft Internet Explorer versions 4.0, 4.01, 4.01 SP1, 4.01 SP2, 4.5, 5 for Windows 95
b.. Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.01 for Windows 98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs. For information about how to do this, view the "Restoring the Registry" Help topic in Regedit.exe or the "Restoring a Registry Key" Help topic in Regedt32.exe.

SYMPTOMS
When you try to change your home page in the Internet Options dialog box, you may be unable to type in the Address box, and the following buttons may be unavailable:

a.. Use Current
b.. Use Default
c.. Use Blank

CAUSE
This issue can occur if you are using a customized version of Internet Explorer that was packaged by using Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK).

RESOLUTION
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

NOTE: If you are using a customized version of Internet Explorer that was packaged by your network system administrator, please contact your system administrator before you use the following steps.

To resolve this issue in Internet Explorer 4.x, use Registry Editor to Change the "HomePage" value to "0" in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
To work around this issue in Internet Explorer 5, delete the following registry key, and then restart Internet Explorer:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel\HomePage

Additional query words: 4.00 98 grayed greyed out gray

Keywords : msiew95 win98
Issue type : kbprb
Technology : kbIEsearch kbIE95Search kbZNotKeyword3 kbIE98Search kbIE400Win95 kbIE401Win95 kbIE500Win95 kbIE501Win98

Last Reviewed: June 4, 2001
© 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

Ask a Question